How to stop worrying about your exam?

• Thread starter Bishop556
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, by focusing on other things besides the exam, and reminding yourself that there is no way to do better than you did on the exam, can help to ease the mind after taking one.
Bishop556
After taking an exam, how does one put their mind to rest and calm down about possible errors they made? I took a quantum exam and made two errors that I realized after leaving, one was an algebraic error (We had to solve for the integral of x^3*e^(-ax) from 0 to infinity. Turns out there was a shortcut using substitution that I didn't think about) and the other was a silly graph error that will probably mark me down a bit. Now, I finished every question and I feel confident that I conceptually understood each question and will get high marks besides these mistakes. However, I have an inner demon called Worrying that makes me feel as if my performance was sub par. I know there will be a curve considering a good portion of the class didn't even complete all the questions. Usually the highest scores are in the 80s, so I feel I will be somewhere around there.

How does one stop worrying about their performance on an exam? I'm naturally a perfectionist which doesn't help in a field where the average test score for an exam is in the 50s and 60s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well imagine as if you've never written an exam, that's what I do. Seriously!, just if your friends ask you like "hey dude how was your exam?", just be like "what exam? which exam dude?". Just make yourself believe that you haven't given any test and move forward for the preparation of your next exam.

Perhaps you have an anxious-type personality, in that case I would seek ways to improve that general aspect, not only for the tests.
I guess one thing that helps me is to think that no matter how much I repeat the test in my head, there's nothing to do about it. This is rationalizing it.
Perhaps this doesn't work for some people, since worrying is sometimes not rational, another thing you could do is identify the moment you start worrying, and right then start to engage in another activity. Ones that engage you in physical activity are particularly suited, I think.

I don't know if this will help of not, but in my experience it's important to keep in mind that you have a tendency to remember the mistakes and uncertainties a lot better than the stuff that you got correct. This naturally distorts your perception of your performance.

It can also help to have stuff to focus on after your exam. Unfortunately this stuff often ends up consisting of the chores that you put off while studying - laundry, groceries, cleaning - stuff that while keeping your hands busy let's your mind drift back to the exam. For some people, having a hobby, something that helps you to focus your mind on something that's not the exam, can help.

Exams are fine learning tools in the preparation and execution. Except perhaps qualification exams that may impact a career. Take lots of tests and become test-wise.

Related to How to stop worrying about your exam?

1. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for exams?

One of the best ways to manage your time effectively is to create a study schedule. This will help you break down your studying into smaller, more manageable chunks and ensure that you cover all of the material before the exam. It's also important to prioritize your studying and focus on the most important topics first.

2. What are some strategies for reducing stress and anxiety during exam season?

Some effective strategies for reducing stress and anxiety during exam season include practicing deep breathing exercises, getting enough sleep, and taking regular breaks while studying. It's also helpful to maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly to keep your mind and body in a good state.

3. How can I stay motivated and avoid procrastination while studying for exams?

One way to stay motivated is to set small, achievable goals for each study session. This will help you see progress and stay motivated to keep going. It's also important to eliminate distractions, such as turning off your phone, to avoid procrastination. Rewarding yourself after completing a study session can also help with motivation.

4. What are some effective study techniques for retaining information?

Some effective study techniques include practicing active reading, creating flashcards, and teaching the material to someone else. It's also helpful to take breaks and review material multiple times to reinforce your understanding. Additionally, studying in a quiet and comfortable environment can improve retention.

5. How can I overcome test anxiety and perform better on exams?

To overcome test anxiety, it's important to prepare well in advance and practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing, before the exam. It can also be helpful to visualize yourself doing well on the exam and to focus on positive thoughts. Additionally, make sure to read and understand the instructions carefully and answer the easier questions first to build confidence.