How to Solve Using Undetermined Coefficients: y+3y=-48x^2e^(3x)

In summary: I have the book but can't find the problem.Thank you!In summary, the problem is found in chapter 4 of the textbook Linear Algebra and Its Applications, by Gilbert Strang.
vipertongn

Homework Statement

solve using undetermined coeffecients
y"+3y=-48x^2e^(3x)

Homework Equations

x^2e^3x gives a Yp=(Ax^2+Bx+C)e^3x

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get yc easily which is yc=cos(sqrt(3x))+sin(sqrt(3x))

However, I'm not sure as to how to set it up so that -48x^2e^(3x) and the yp. the -48 is throwing me off. If I make it so then that is equivalent to a constant D in teh equation I get

Yp= De^3x(Ax^2+Bx+C)
taking to the second derivative
Yp"+3Yp=3D[(10Ax^2e^2x)+(18Axe^3+7Bxe^3x)+(6Ae^3x+9Be^3x+6Ce^3x)=-48x^2e^(3x)
At most I could get D=-16

Physics news on Phys.org
vipertongn said:

Homework Statement

solve using undetermined coeffecients
y"+3y=-48x^2e^(3x)

Homework Equations

x^2e^3x gives a Yp=(Ax^2+Bx+C)e^3x

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get yc easily which is yc=cos(sqrt(3x))+sin(sqrt(3x))
Be careful of your parentheses- and don't forget the unknown constants. yc= Acos(sqrt(3)x)+ B sin(sqrt(3)x) for any constants A and B.

However, I'm not sure as to how to set it up so that -48x^2e^(3x) and the yp. the -48 is throwing me off. If I make it so then that is equivalent to a constant D in teh equation I get

Yp= De^3x(Ax^2+Bx+C)
taking to the second derivative
Yp"+3Yp=3D[(10Ax^2e^2x)+(18Axe^3+7Bxe^3x)+(6Ae^3x+9Be^3x+6Ce^3x)=-48x^2e^(3x)
At most I could get D=-16
Okay, your general form for Yp is correct- any time you have a power of x on the right, you must try all lower powers as well.

But either you have some very strange ideas about the derivatives of exponentials or you have a lot of typos! You cannot possibly get e^(2x) or e^3 by differentiating e^(3x)!
And, in fact, "D", the one thing you say you can find, is unnecessary: you do not need a separate constant "D" multiplying the entire thing- you can take that inside the parentheses: Yp= e^(3x)(ADx^2+ BDx+ CD) or just Yp= e^(3x)(Ax^2+ Bx+ C) where the new A, B, C are the previous AD, BD, BC.

The first derivative of Yp is Yp'= 3e^(3x)(Ax^2+ Bx+ C)+ e^(3x)(2Ax+ B)= e^(3x)(3Ax^2+ (3B+ 2A)x+ 3C+ B).

The second derivative is Yp"= 3e^(3x)(3Ax^2+ (3B+ 2A)x+ 3C+ B)+ e^(3x)(6Ax+ 3B+ 2A)= e^(3x)(9Ax^2+ (12A+ 9B)x+ 2A+ 3B+ 9C)

Yp"+ 3Y= e^(3x)(10Ax^2+ (12A+ 10B)x+ 2A+ 3B+ 10C)= -48x^2e^(3x)= e^(3x)(-48x^2+ 0x+ 0).

You can cancel the "e^(3x)" on each side to reduce to 10Ax^2+ (12A+ 10B)x+ 2A+ 3B+ 10C= -48x^2+ 0x+ 0. In order to be equal for all x, two polynomials must have exactly the same coefficients:

10A= -48, 12A+ 10B= 0, and 2A+ 3B+ 10C= 0.

Hello! Sorry for the old thread digging but can you tell me from which book this problem is found?

Related to How to Solve Using Undetermined Coefficients: y+3y=-48x^2e^(3x)

What is the Superposition approach?

The Superposition approach is a scientific method used to study complex systems by breaking them down into simpler components. It involves analyzing each component individually and then combining the results to understand the overall behavior of the system.

How is the Superposition approach used in physics?

In physics, the Superposition approach is used to study the behavior of waves and particles. It states that when two or more waves or particles interact, the resulting effect is the sum of their individual effects. This approach is used to predict the behaviors of complex systems such as electromagnetic fields or quantum systems.

What are the benefits of using the Superposition approach?

The Superposition approach allows scientists to break down complex systems into simpler components, making it easier to understand and analyze their behavior. It also helps in predicting the outcome of interactions between different components, which is useful in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

Are there any limitations to the Superposition approach?

One limitation of the Superposition approach is that it assumes linearity, meaning that the components of a system do not affect each other. This may not always be the case, and in such situations, the results obtained from this approach may not accurately reflect the behavior of the system.

How does the Superposition approach differ from other scientific methods?

The Superposition approach is unique in its focus on breaking down complex systems into simpler components and analyzing their individual effects. Other methods, such as reductionism, may focus on understanding the behavior of the system as a whole rather than its individual components. Additionally, the Superposition approach is commonly used in the study of waves and particles, while other methods may be more applicable to other types of systems.