How to Solve the Complex Equation zn-1=\bar{z}?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving a complex number and the search for a satisfying final answer. The experts suggest using an alternative form of the equation to find all possible solutions.
freddyfish
Hi

I have come across this equation:

zn-1=[itex]\bar{z}[/itex], z[itex]\in[/itex]ℂ* (ℂ*:=ℂ\0)

There are numerous obvious equalities that can be used, but I don't seem to reach a satisfying final answer.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
freddyfish said:
Hi

I have come across this equation:

zn-1=[itex]\bar{z}[/itex], z[itex]\in[/itex]ℂ* (ℂ*:=ℂ\0)

There are numerous obvious equalities that can be used, but I don't seem to reach a satisfying final answer.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Write [itex]\,z=re^{it}\,\,,\,\,0\leq t<2\pi\,[/itex] , so that

$$z^{n-1}=\bar z\Longleftrightarrow r^{n-1}e^{(n-1)it}=re^{-it}\Longrightarrow r=1\,\,,\,(n-1)t=-t\pmod {2\pi}\Longleftrightarrow nt=0\pmod{2\pi}$$

DonAntonio

That's what I got too, using a somewhat different method, but I felt that my answer didn't include all the solutions to this equation for some reason. But I suppose my gut feeling betrayed me on this one.

Thank you for your time and effort. :)

Related to How to Solve the Complex Equation zn-1=\bar{z}?

1. What is a complex exponential equation?

A complex exponential equation is an equation that involves a number raised to a complex power, where a complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically written in the form ab, where a is the base and b is the complex exponent.

2. How do I solve a complex exponential equation?

To solve a complex exponential equation, you can use the properties of exponential functions and the laws of exponents. First, rewrite the equation in terms of the base and exponent. Then, simplify the expression using the laws of exponents. Finally, solve for the unknown variable by isolating it on one side of the equation.

3. What are some common applications of complex exponential equations?

Complex exponential equations are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to model and solve problems involving growth, decay, and oscillation. They are also used in signal processing and control theory.

4. What is the Euler's formula and how is it related to complex exponential equations?

Euler's formula is a mathematical formula that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It states that eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is a real number. This formula is often used to simplify complex exponential equations and express them in terms of trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving complex exponential equations?

Yes, there are some special techniques that can be used to solve certain types of complex exponential equations. These include using logarithms, substitution, and factoring. It is important to understand the properties and laws of exponents in order to effectively solve complex exponential equations.