Complex Integration By Partial Fractions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integration by partial fractions and the use of complex numbers. The individual tries various methods and ends up with an equation resembling Euler's identity. However, there is a discrepancy in the result which leads to a discussion on whether using exponentiation to cancel the natural logarithm is valid for complex numbers. The conversation concludes with a note on the reflection of the complex graphs and a reminder to consider the constant of integration.
Brandon Trabucco
Hello, I am enrolled in calculus 2. Just having started a section in our textbook about integration by partial fractions, I eagerly began trying to use this integration technique wherever I could. After messing around for multiple days, I ran into this problem:

∫ 1/(x^2+1)dx

I immediately wanted to split the denominator into a complex difference of squares and rewrite it as a sum of two fractions, just to see what would happen if I did so. I took the following steps to complete the transformation:

1/((x + i)(x - i)) = A/(x + i) + B/(x - i)

1 = A(x - i) + B(x + i)

1 = Ax - Ai + Bx + Bi

therefore we can assume the following:

A + B = 0

A = -B

Bi - Ai = 1

Bi + Bi = 1

B = 1/2i

A = -1/2i

After inserting these values into our partial fraction, I was left with the following equation:

1/((x + i)(x - i)) = -1/(2i(x + i)) + 1/(2i(x - i))

Then I took the integral of both sides, which should both be equivalent expressions, and simplified:

∫ 1/((x + i)(x - i))dx = -1/2i∫ 1/(x + i)dx + 1/2i∫ 1/(x - i)dx

arctan(x) = -(1/2i)ln(x + i) + (1/2i)ln(x - i)

arctan(x) = (1/2i)ln((x - i)/(x + i))

(2i)arctan(x) = ln((x - i)/(x + i))

After this step, my gut told me to exponentiation both sides to remove the natural logarithm. I question doing this however, because I am not familiar with the behavior with the natural logarithm in the complex plane, and I do not know if exponentiation will alter the behavior of this equality. Despite this, I set both sides as a power of e and ended up with:

e^((2i)arctan(x)) = (x - i)/(x + i)

This equation slightly resembles Euler's identity. Even more so, When taking the limit of both sides as x approaches positive infinity, the equation turns into the following:

e^(iπ) = 1 + 0i

This result immediately threw red flags in my head since I knew that e^(iπ) equals negative one. I worked through this problem multiple times and ended with the same result each time. My question for all of you would be whether or not my assumption of using the exponential to cancel the natural log works with complex numbers. If there is any other aspect of this proof that I have misinterpreted, then I would appreciate feedback to help me better understand the nature of this problem.

*I have made a note to myself that the complex graphs of e^((2i)arctan(x)) and (x - i)/(x + i) are in fact reflections of one another over the real axis; however, I have checked by algebra and integration steps and cannot find where the missing negative was from.

Thank you,
Brandon Trabucco

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just three words: constant of integration.

Likes Ssnow

1. What is complex integration by partial fractions?

Complex integration by partial fractions is a method for solving integrals that involve rational functions in the complex plane. It involves breaking down a complex function into simpler fractions and then integrating each fraction separately.

2. When is complex integration by partial fractions used?

This method is used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a rational function, meaning it can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomials. It is especially useful when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

3. How is complex integration by partial fractions performed?

The first step is to factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and/or quadratic terms. Then, for each distinct factor, a partial fraction is created with undetermined coefficients. These coefficients are found by equating the original rational function to the sum of the partial fractions and solving for the unknowns. Finally, the integral is evaluated by integrating each partial fraction separately.

4. What are the benefits of using complex integration by partial fractions?

This method allows for the integration of complex functions that may not be solvable using other techniques. It also simplifies the integration process by breaking down the function into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. Are there any limitations of complex integration by partial fractions?

This method can only be used for rational functions, so it is not applicable to all integrals. It also requires a degree of algebraic manipulation and solving equations, so it may be more time-consuming than other integration techniques.