How to Solve Related Rates Problems: Calculating Egg's Shadow Speed"

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a toddler dropping eggs from a window and a neighbor trying to calculate the speed of the shadow of the egg when it is halfway to the ground. The book gives an answer of 76 ft/sec, but the person asking the question and the professor both got 42 m/sec. They go on to discuss their solutions and realize that the professor made a mistake with unit conversion and the correct answer is indeed 42 ft/sec.
BrownianMan
One night, a toddler is dropping eggs from a windowof a building which is 20 feet above ground. A neighbor, hearing the commotion, looks through her window which is 15 feet from the toddler's window, on the same wall of the building, and at the same height. She shines a flashlight from her window on one of the falling eggs. How fast is the shadow of this egg moving on the ground when the egg is halfway to the ground?

The prof did this in class and got an answer of 42 m/sec. The answer in the back of the book says 76 ft/sec. I get the same answer as the prof, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

Is the book wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm agreeing with the book.

How did you solve it?

BrownianMan said:
How did you solve it?

I drew a diagram, wrote down relations between sides, differentiated etc. This is a HW question. Show your solution and I'll look at it.

This is what I did:

I let h(t) be the height of the egg t seconds after being dropped, and let s(t) be distance at t seconds between shadow of egg and the point the egg hits the ground.

So tan(theta) = 20/(15 + s) = h/s. Hence, 20s = 15h + sh, and 20s' = 15h' + sh' + s'h.

h(t) = -4.9t^2 + 20
h'(t) = -9.8t

at h = 10:

10 = -4.9t^2 + 20
t = 10/7

and substituting into 20s = 15h + sh, I get s = 15. Then,

20s' = -15(9.8)(10/7) + 10s' + (-9.8)(10/7)(15)
s' = -42 ft/sec

BrownianMan said:
This is what I did:

I let h(t) be the height of the egg t seconds after being dropped, and let s(t) be distance at t seconds between shadow of egg and the point the egg hits the ground.

So tan(theta) = 20/(15 + s) = h/s. Hence, 20s = 15h + sh, and 20s' = 15h' + sh' + s'h.

h(t) = -4.9t^2 + 20
h'(t) = -9.8t

at h = 10:

10 = -4.9t^2 + 20
t = 10/7

and substituting into 20s = 15h + sh, I get s = 15. Then,

20s' = -15(9.8)(10/7) + 10s' + (-9.8)(10/7)(15)
s' = -42 ft/sec

That's pretty much what I did. For one thing the units of the problem are feet. You are using 9.8m/s^2 for g. That's the metric unit. You want 32 ft/s^2 in english units.

Ah, silly mistake!

Thanks, it all works now.

Related to How to Solve Related Rates Problems: Calculating Egg's Shadow Speed"

1. What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity. This is typically done by using the chain rule to differentiate an equation that relates the two quantities.

2. What are the key components of a related rates problem?

The key components of a related rates problem are the two changing quantities, the equation that relates them, and the rate at which one of the quantities is changing. It is also important to identify any fixed or constant quantities in the problem.

3. How do you solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you must first identify the two changing quantities and the equation that relates them. Then, use the chain rule to differentiate the equation with respect to time. Substitute in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

4. What are some common applications of related rates problems?

Related rates problems are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion, such as the rate at which water is flowing out of a tank or the speed of a falling object. They can also be used in economics, biology, and other fields where quantities are changing over time.

5. What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, identifying all given information and what needs to be found, and carefully differentiating the equation using the chain rule. It is also helpful to check units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.