Volumetric Expansion of Liquids

In summary, the thermometer has a quartz body within which is sealed a total volume of 0.400 cm3 of mercury. The stem contains a cylindrical hole with a bore diameter of 0.10 mm. The column of mercury rises from 10°C to 94°C. The change in volume results in an extra height of 0.0061152 cm.
chunkytuna21
A thermometer has a quartz body within which is sealed a total volume of 0.400 cm3 of mercury. The stem contains a cylindrical hole with a bore diameter of 0.10 mm. How far does the mercury column extend in the process of rising from 10°C to 94°C? Neglect any change in volume of the quartz.

delta V= B*V0*delta T

I thought this problem would be pretty simple. I have the equation from my textbook along with the value for B so I just plugged them in: delta V= (182*10^-6)(0.400cm3)(84)= 0.0061152. Now, this is where I'm stuck. This isn't the answer and I don't know what to do with this number. I'm starting to think this isn't even the right equation. Does the 10mm come into the problem somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the 10 mm is crucial. You have calculated the change in volume. You need the change in height. Assuming that the cross-sectional area remains the same, how much extra height does this change in volume result in?

Last edited:
How do I solve for the extra height? Is there an equation for that?

Last edited:
Imagine watching a thermometer as the temperature rises from 10 to 94 degrees. The mercury rises, and you can imagine the extra mercury as being held within a cylinder. You've calculated the cylinder's volume, and you have its diameter, so how do you calculate height?

V= (Pi)(R^2)(l), solving for l. Right?

Yup, exactly.

Thanks. Now, I just have to go back and rework my math. I'm still getting the wrong answer.

I'm getting an unrealistic answer. Are you sure the numbers you gave are right? 0.4 cm^3 seems like a lot of mercury for a thermometer.

The question is right. I copied and pasted it exactly. Plus, I'm looking at it on webassign right now. I think it's my calculated change in volume. Delta T would be 84 because that's the change in temperature and B is given in a chart in my textbook and V0 would have to be the initial volume of 0.400cm3. So, I really don't know what's wrong. I would convert from cm to m, but they want the answer in cm. Unless it's the wrong equation.

I'm getting a reasonable number. Check your unit conversion on that diameter again.

ideasrule said:
I'm getting an unrealistic answer. Are you sure the numbers you gave are right? 0.4 cm^3 seems like a lot of mercury for a thermometer.

Not really. You should see the ones used for calorimetry.

When you say a reasonable number, are we talking about a small decimal number or a number in the thousands? Because everytime I work the problem out, I get one or the other.

I'm getting a number in the dozens.
How many cm in 0.10 mm? (looks like you changed it from 0.10mm to 10mm in the middle of your original post, so I suspect you're using the wrong number)

Last edited:
I finally got it. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Related to Volumetric Expansion of Liquids

1. What is volumetric expansion of liquids?

Volumetric expansion of liquids is the phenomenon where the volume of a liquid increases when its temperature increases. This is due to the individual molecules of the liquid gaining kinetic energy and moving further apart, causing an overall increase in volume.

2. How does temperature affect the volumetric expansion of liquids?

As the temperature of a liquid increases, the average kinetic energy of its molecules also increases. This leads to an increase in the volume of the liquid, as the molecules move further apart.

3. What is the coefficient of volumetric expansion?

The coefficient of volumetric expansion is a measure of how much a liquid's volume will increase for a given change in temperature. It is represented by the symbol β (beta) and is different for each type of liquid.

4. What factors can affect the volumetric expansion of liquids?

The volumetric expansion of liquids can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the composition of the liquid. Additionally, the type of container in which the liquid is held can also have an impact.

5. How is the volumetric expansion of liquids used in real-world applications?

The volumetric expansion of liquids is used in various real-world applications, such as in thermometers, thermostats, and other temperature measuring devices. It is also used in the design of pipelines and other systems where temperature changes may cause changes in volume. Additionally, this phenomenon is important in understanding the effects of temperature on the behavior of liquids in industrial processes and environmental conditions.