Expansion of mercury in a thermometer

In summary, the conversation involves finding the distance that a mercury column extends in a thermometer while rising from 10deg C to 90deg C. The volume of mercury and the bore diameter are given, and the change in volume of the mercury is calculated. This change in volume is then used to determine the length of the cylinder in the quartz, which is found to be 741mm. The participants of the conversation also express surprise at the large volume and small bore diameter of the thermometer.
bacon
I think that I’m doing this problem correctly, but the answer seems a bit unreasonable. Can someone else check my work?

A thermometer has a quartz body within which is sealed a total volume of 0.400[itex]cm^{3}[/itex] of mercury. The stem contains a cylindrical hole with a bore diameter of 0.10mm. How far does the mercury column extend in the process of rising from 10deg C to 90deg C? Neglect any change in the volume of the quartz.

I first found the change in volume of the mercury.
[itex]\Delta V=\beta V_{0}\Delta T[/itex]
[itex]\beta = 182x10^{-6}K^{-1}[/itex] from a table in the book.
[itex]V_{0}=.400cm^{3}[/itex]
[itex]\Delta T=90-10=80 deg[/itex]
[itex]\Delta V=.005824cm^{3}=5.824mm^{3}[/itex]

This change in volume will fill a portion of the slender cylindrical hole in the quartz.
The volume of a cylinder is [itex]V=L\pi \frac{D}{4}^{2}[/itex] Where L is the length of the cylinder and D is its diameter.
[itex]L =\frac{4V}{\pi D^{2}}[/itex]
V is the [itex]\Delta V[/itex] calculated above and D is given as 0.10mm.
L=741mm

This seems like a very long thermometer.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Delete
I thought you had made a mistake in your calculation but I have used your numbers and got the same as you

Last edited:
In addition!...0.4 seems like a large volume and 0.1 mm seems like a very fine bore

Thanks for your help.

Your calculations appear to be correct. The expansion of mercury in a thermometer is a well-studied phenomenon and follows the equation you used, \Delta V=\beta V_{0}\Delta T. The length of the thermometer will indeed increase significantly as the temperature rises. This is why thermometers are often designed with a coiled or zigzag shape to fit into a smaller space. Additionally, the length of the thermometer is not necessarily an issue as long as it is able to accurately measure the temperature. However, if you are concerned about the length, you may want to consider using a different substance with a lower coefficient of expansion, such as alcohol or gas.

Related to Expansion of mercury in a thermometer

What is the expansion of mercury in a thermometer?

The expansion of mercury in a thermometer is the increase in volume of the liquid mercury as it is heated. This expansion is used to measure changes in temperature.

How does the expansion of mercury in a thermometer work?

The thermometer contains a thin, sealed glass tube filled with mercury. As the temperature increases, the mercury expands and rises up the tube. This expansion is measured against a scale on the thermometer to determine the temperature.

Why is mercury used in thermometers?

Mercury is used in thermometers because it has a high coefficient of expansion, meaning it expands and contracts significantly with changes in temperature. It is also a good conductor of heat, making it a reliable substance for measuring temperature.

What happens to the expansion of mercury in a thermometer at extremely high temperatures?

At extremely high temperatures, the expansion of mercury in a thermometer can cause the liquid to expand beyond the capacity of the thermometer, leading to the thermometer breaking or cracking. This is why mercury thermometers are not recommended for measuring very high temperatures.

Are there any safety concerns with the expansion of mercury in a thermometer?

Yes, there are safety concerns with the expansion of mercury in a thermometer. Mercury is a toxic substance and can be harmful if ingested or inhaled. It is important to handle and dispose of mercury thermometers properly to avoid any potential health risks.