How to solve for four variables when two have first and second degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a given equation for just x and then trying to solve for four variables using four equations. The original equation is in the form of a conic section and the person is trying to solve for h, k, a, and b. The conversation includes a suggestion to use completing the squares to solve for x and then plugging in four different coordinates to get four equations for h, k, a, and b. It is mentioned that this may be a challenging problem and using a matrix or coding may be more efficient.
JazzyJones

Homework Statement

does anyone know how to solve this equation for just x?

x + x^2 = a^2*b^2 - 2.01j - j^2 - 15.132

it's possible right? because I'm trying to solve for four variables using four equations but two of my variables will have a first plus a second degree

The Attempt at a Solution

my original equation was in the form [((x-h)^2)/a^2] + [((y-k)^2)/b^2] = 1

i am trying to solve for h, k , a, b

Physics news on Phys.org
JazzyJones said:

Homework Statement

it's possible right? because I'm trying to solve for four variables using four equations but two of my variables will have a first plus a second degree

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first equation, sure you can solve for x. Completing the square is probably the easiest way. But I don't see what the first equation has to do with the second one and you certainly can't solve the second one for the four variables h,k,a,b. You only have one equation.

JazzyJones said:

Bring the right side expression to the left and then, try to complete the squares. Now, try to make that equation into the given form.

Dick said:
For the first equation, sure you can solve for x. Completing the square is probably the easiest way. But I don't see what the first equation has to do with the second one and you certainly can't solve the second one for the four variables h,k,a,b. You only have one equation.

I have x and y values. I plug the four different coordinates into the second equation and get four equations. Then I solve using quadratic for h and k, (a and b can be solved without quadratic I believe). Then start plugging them into one equation at a time correct?

JazzyJones said:
I have x and y values. I plug the four different coordinates into the second equation and get four equations. Then I solve using quadratic for h and k, (a and b can be solved without quadratic I believe). Then start plugging them into one equation at a time correct?

That should work. If you have four different values of (x,y) then you should get four different equations for h,k,a,b. You should be able to solve them in principle. Sounds pretty hard though.

Dick said:
Sounds pretty hard though.

Yea, I'm aware of that :D

JazzyJones said:
Yea, I'm aware of that :D

There's probably not even a solution for all possible selections of four values of (x,y). You aren't trying to solve what might be an easier problem the hard way are you?

Would be nice to see all 4 equations. You can't just put them into a matrix form and solve a^-1*b = c?

Vadar2012 said:
Would be nice to see all 4 equations. You can't just put them into a matrix form and solve a^-1*b = c?

Ok I got them here, http://imgur.com/2KL0g
the big K and little k are the same variable, i just wrote them like that sorry. Made a note of the missing k in the second equation and rewrote the number 7.66 for 7.66h in equation 4

I realize a matrix is used for this sort of thing sadly I don't have experience with them nor understand "solve a a^-1*b = c?"
If you could show me the steps and processes, that would be cool

Last edited:
I'd just write a code to solve it by Newtonian or something. Doing it by hand it just too much effort and too much room for error. All that substitution is just asking for problems.

Vadar2012 said:
I'd just write a code to solve it by Newtonian or something. Doing it by hand it just too much effort and too much room for error. All that substitution is just asking for problems.
what do you mean solve it by Newtonian??

Related to How to solve for four variables when two have first and second degrees

1. How do I solve for four variables when two have first and second degrees?

Solving for four variables when two have first and second degrees requires the use of a system of equations. You will need to have at least four equations to solve for four variables.

2. What is the first step in solving for four variables when two have first and second degrees?

The first step is to identify the variables and their degrees in each equation. This will help you determine how many equations you need to solve for all four variables.

3. Do I need to use substitution or elimination to solve for four variables when two have first and second degrees?

It depends on the specific equations you are working with. Substitution may be more useful when the equations are simpler, while elimination may be more effective when the equations are more complex. It is best to try both methods and see which one leads to a solution.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator to solve for four variables when two have first and second degrees?

Yes, a graphing calculator can be a helpful tool in solving for four variables when two have first and second degrees. You can enter the equations into the calculator and use the graphing function to find the point of intersection, which represents the solution.

5. What should I do if I end up with more than one solution when solving for four variables with first and second degrees?

If you end up with more than one solution, it means that the equations are not independent and there are multiple ways to solve for the variables. You can check your work and see if there are any errors, or you can try using a different method of solving, such as substitution or elimination, to see if you get a different solution.