How to Solve a First-Order Nonlinear PDE using the Method of Characteristics?

In summary, to solve the equation du/dx * du/dy = x*y with the given boundary condition and in the form F(x,y,u,du/dx,du/dy) = 0, one can use the method of characteristics. By substituting u(x,y)=A(x)*B(y) into the PDE and separating variables, a particular solution can be obtained. Substituting y=0 leads to the required solution u(x,y) = x*(y^2+1)^(1/2). There are no examples or explanations provided in the book, but the same solution can be found using the method of characteristics.
Eren10
i have to solve this equation :

du/dx * du/dy = x*y

u(x,y) = x for y =0

with putting this equation in the form : F(x,y,u,du/dx,du/dy) = 0 . it can be solved.
But mine book does not explain how to do this, there are no examples.

Can someone help me ? or any links of examples on the internet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your PDE already is in a such form!?

If you suppose that

u(x,y)=A(x)*B(y)

then substitution such u into PDE gives you after separation of variables

diff(A(x),x)*A(x)/x=1/(B(y)*diff(B(y),y)/y)=c ,

where c is a constant. Solutions of these two ODEs lead to particular solution

u(x,y) = (c*x^2+C2)^(1/2)*1/c*(c*(y^2+C1*c))^(1/2)

(among other things this solution allows to obtain the general sulution to your PDE!).
If now substitute y=0 into above solution, we find that it must be

C2=0, C1=1/c

so the required solution is as follows

u(x,y) = x*(y^2+1)^(1/2)

Thank you for giving the answer. Mine mistake I had to tell, to solve this problem we had to use method of characteristics. I did it and found the same answer. so it is correct.

Related to How to Solve a First-Order Nonlinear PDE using the Method of Characteristics?

1. What is a First Order Nonlinear PDE?

A First Order Nonlinear PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to multiple independent variables, and the function itself is a nonlinear function of those variables. This means that the equation is not a simple linear relationship, and it may involve terms with powers, products, or other nonlinear operations.

2. How does a First Order Nonlinear PDE differ from a First Order Linear PDE?

A First Order Linear PDE involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to multiple independent variables, but the function itself is a linear function of those variables. This means that the equation is a simple linear relationship, and it does not involve any nonlinear terms. In contrast, a First Order Nonlinear PDE involves nonlinear terms in the function, making it a more complex equation.

3. What are some real-life applications of First Order Nonlinear PDEs?

First Order Nonlinear PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include fluid dynamics, heat transfer, chemical reactions, and population dynamics. They are also used in modeling complex systems and predicting their behavior, such as in weather forecasting and financial markets.

4. What are some methods for solving First Order Nonlinear PDEs?

There are several methods for solving First Order Nonlinear PDEs, including the method of characteristics, separation of variables, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and the boundary conditions of the problem.

5. What are the challenges in solving First Order Nonlinear PDEs?

First Order Nonlinear PDEs can be challenging to solve because they do not have a general analytic solution. This means that numerical methods are often required, which can be computationally expensive and time-consuming. Additionally, the nonlinear nature of the equations can lead to multiple solutions or non-unique solutions, making it difficult to determine the most accurate solution.