Find a product solution to the following PDE

In summary, the given PDE can be solved using separation of variables by substituting $u(x,y) = f(x)g(y)$ and obtaining two equations for $f$ and $g$. Solving these equations and applying the given initial conditions, the final solution is $u(x,y) = A\exp\bigl((2x^2 + 3x)/2\bigr) \cdot B\exp\bigl((-\tfrac52y^2 - 7y)/2\bigr)$ where $A$ and $B$ are determined by the initial conditions.
Umar
So I'm asked to use separation of variables to find a product solution to the given PDE:

(5y + 7)du/dx + (4x+3)du/dy = 0

Since it says to find a product solution, I used the form u(x,y) = XY and plugged that into the PDE. However, I am getting stuck because I'm not sure how exactly I should separate these two so that I can solve two different diff. equations. Your help is greatly aprpeciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Umar said:
So I'm asked to use separation of variables to find a product solution to the given PDE:

(5y + 7)du/dx + (4x+3)du/dy = 0

Since it says to find a product solution, I used the form u(x,y) = XY and plugged that into the PDE. However, I am getting stuck because I'm not sure how exactly I should separate these two so that I can solve two different diff. equations. Your help is greatly appreciated!
When you plug $u = XY$ into the PDE, you get $(5y + 7)X'Y + (4x+3)XY' = 0$. Write that as $$\frac{(4x+3)X}{X'} = -\frac{(5y+7)Y}{Y'}.$$ The left side is a function of $x$ only, and the right side is a function of $y$ only. So both sides must be a constant, say $$\frac{(4x+3)X}{X'} = -\frac{(5y+7)Y}{Y'} = k.$$ That gives you your two equations, one for $X$ and one for $Y$.

Opalg said:
When you plug $u = XY$ into the PDE, you get $(5y + 7)X'Y + (4x+3)XY' = 0$. Write that as $$\frac{(4x+3)X}{X'} = -\frac{(5y+7)Y}{Y'}.$$ The left side is a function of $x$ only, and the right side is a function of $y$ only. So both sides must be a constant, say $$\frac{(4x+3)X}{X'} = -\frac{(5y+7)Y}{Y'} = k.$$ That gives you your two equations, one for $X$ and one for $Y$.

Thanks for the reply! I actually got to that part, it's just that when I go to integrate the two functions, I would be integrating with respect to X no? So would I just treat the small x as a constant? Same with the y? What would I do with the constant k? Sorry for all the questions, but if you could show how you would solve one of the equations, I would really appreciate that. I'm also given two initial conditions for u, which I would apply after multiply X and Y to get the product solution..

Umar said:
Thanks for the reply! I actually got to that part, it's just that when I go to integrate the two functions, I would be integrating with respect to X no? So would I just treat the small x as a constant? Same with the y? What would I do with the constant k? Sorry for all the questions, but if you could show how you would solve one of the equations, I would really appreciate that. I'm also given two initial conditions for u, which I would apply after multiply X and Y to get the product solution..
No, $X$ is meant to be a function of the variable $x$, and $Y$ is a function of $y$. Perhaps it would have been better to write $u(x,y) = f(x)g(y)$ instead of $u(x,y) = XY$. Then the equation would become $$\frac{(4x+3)f(x)}{f'(x)} = -\frac{(5y+7)g(y)}{g'(y)} = k.$$

Opalg said:
No, $X$ is meant to be a function of the variable $x$, and $Y$ is a function of $y$. Perhaps it would have been better to write $u(x,y) = f(x)g(y)$ instead of $u(x,y) = XY$. Then the equation would become $$\frac{(4x+3)f(x)}{f'(x)} = -\frac{(5y+7)g(y)}{g'(y)} = k.$$

Okay so I got the following:

X = ((4x+3)*x^2)/(2*k) + C

Y = ((-5y+7)*y^2)/(2*k) + C

So the general solution would be the product of these two functions. I'm given two initial conditions:

u(0,0) = 6 and ux(0,0) = 9

With the first one, I get c = sqrt(6), but the second one doesn't even work out because plugging in x and y for 0's just eliminates everything. I feel like I'm making something wrong, and the value of K shouldn't even be there in the final answer.

Umar said:
Okay so I got the following:

X = ((4x+3)*x^2)/(2*k) + C

Y = ((-5y+7)*y^2)/(2*k) + C

So the general solution would be the product of these two functions. I'm given two initial conditions:

u(0,0) = 6 and ux(0,0) = 9

With the first one, I get c = sqrt(6), but the second one doesn't even work out because plugging in x and y for 0's just eliminates everything. I feel like I'm making something wrong, and the value of K shouldn't even be there in the final answer.
Not sure how you got that. Write the equation \(\displaystyle \frac{(4x+3)f(x)}{f'(x)} = k\) as \(\displaystyle \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} = \frac{4x+3}k\) and integrate both sides to get \(\displaystyle \ln(f(x)) = \frac{2x^2 + 3x}k + C\), or \(\displaystyle f(x) = A\exp \bigl((2x^2 + 3x)/k\bigr)\) (where $A,C$ denote a constant of integration). In a similar way, \(\displaystyle g(x) = B\exp \bigl((-\tfrac52y^2 - 7y)/k\bigr)\). You can then use the initial conditions to find that $AB = 6$ and $k=2$.

I get the final answer to be $$u(x,y) = 6\exp\bigl(x^2 + \tfrac32x - \tfrac54y^2 - \tfrac72 \bigr).$$

Opalg said:
Not sure how you got that. Write the equation \(\displaystyle \frac{(4x+3)f(x)}{f'(x)} = k\) as \(\displaystyle \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} = \frac{4x+3}k\) and integrate both sides to get \(\displaystyle \ln(f(x)) = \frac{2x^2 + 3x}k + C\), or \(\displaystyle f(x) = A\exp \bigl((2x^2 + 3x)/k\bigr)\) (where $A,C$ denote a constant of integration). In a similar way, \(\displaystyle g(x) = B\exp \bigl((-\tfrac52y^2 - 7y)/k\bigr)\). You can then use the initial conditions to find that $AB = 6$ and $k=2$.

I get the final answer to be $$u(x,y) = 6\exp\bigl(x^2 + \tfrac32x - \tfrac54y^2 - \tfrac72 \bigr).$$

Thank you so much for your time and help. I understand it now :)

Related to Find a product solution to the following PDE

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you find a product solution to a PDE?

To find a product solution to a PDE, you can use a method called separation of variables. This involves separating the variables in the equation and solving each part separately. Then, the product of these solutions can be used as the final solution to the PDE.

3. What are some common techniques for solving PDEs?

Some common techniques for solving PDEs include separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and the method of eigenfunction expansion. Each of these methods is useful for different types of PDEs and can be applied to find solutions.

4. Are there any software programs that can help with solving PDEs?

Yes, there are several software programs that can assist with solving PDEs. Some popular options include Mathematica, Maple, and MATLAB. These programs have built-in functions and tools for solving PDEs numerically or symbolically.

5. How can finding a product solution to a PDE be useful?

Finding a product solution to a PDE can be useful in understanding and modeling real-world phenomena. It can also help in solving more complex PDEs, as it simplifies the equation and makes it easier to work with. Additionally, finding a product solution can provide insights into the behavior of the system described by the PDE.