How to separate oxygen and hydrogen?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of separating oxygen and hydrogen through electrolysis of water. It is noted that impurities in the water can aid in the conduction of electricity and that pure distilled water may require a stronger source of electricity. Additionally, the presence of certain substances can also assist in the process. It is suggested that further research is done before asking open-ended questions and that specific questions are prepared to elicit more useful responses.
High_Technology
hello guys, how to separate oxygen and hydrogen guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note however that electrolysis works better if the water has some impurities in it,.
Pure distilled water requires a more powerful source of electricity..
The presence of small amounts of metals and other ions assist the conduction of electricity through the fluid,.
A lot of water soluble substances are useable.
The resulting higher current helps to dissociate the Hydrogen from the Oxygen.

High_Technology, I suggest you do your own research before asking a simple but open-ended question. Then come prepared with more specific questions.

Likes berkeman

Related to How to separate oxygen and hydrogen?

1. How can I separate oxygen and hydrogen?

The most common method of separating oxygen and hydrogen is through electrolysis. This involves passing an electric current through water, causing the water molecules to break apart and release oxygen and hydrogen gases.

2. What materials do I need for electrolysis?

For electrolysis, you will need a power source (such as a battery or power supply), two electrodes (usually made of a conductive material like platinum or graphite), and a container of water.

3. Can I separate oxygen and hydrogen without electricity?

While electrolysis is the most common method of separating oxygen and hydrogen, it is possible to separate them through chemical reactions. For example, you can mix water with certain metal powders (such as aluminum), which will react with the water and release hydrogen gas.

4. How do I collect the separated oxygen and hydrogen?

After the electrolysis or chemical reaction is complete, the oxygen and hydrogen gases will need to be collected separately. This can be done by using a gas collection apparatus with two separate chambers or by using a gas syringe to collect the gases as they are released.

5. Is separating oxygen and hydrogen dangerous?

While the process of separating oxygen and hydrogen itself is not dangerous, both gases are highly flammable and must be handled with caution. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and do the separation in a well-ventilated area to avoid any potential hazards.