Can you separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules?

In summary, separating hydrogen and oxygen molecules is possible through processes such as electrolysis and photocatalytic water splitting. While it is a common process, it can be expensive and requires caution and professional supervision. NASA also uses a combination of hydrogen and oxygen for thrust, which results in the production of water.
Maija Brandt
Is separating hydrogen and oxygen molecules possible? If so, how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maija Brandt said:
Are you talking about separating the two gases, or are you talking about decomposing water to produce hydrogen and oxygen?

Maija Brandt said:
Is this related to your other thread?
Maija Brandt said:
I’m working on an idea that I have, and I was wondering if there was something that could repel hydrogen. Not water, not oxygen, just hydrogen. Thanks!

berkeman said:
Is this related to your other thread?
Yes, this is.

Chestermiller said:
Are you talking about separating the two gases, or are you talking about decomposing water to produce hydrogen and oxygen?
Decomposing water.

Yes. Did this when I was 10. It's very easy

Likes sophiecentaur
Maija Brandt said:
Decomposing water.
Electrolysis. Just be careful with the Hydrogen gas that you generate. You put a lot of energy into the water to get it to split into Hydrogen and Oxygen...

Maija Brandt said:

Maija Brandt said:
Decomposing water.
it's a common process,
do some personal research and google it ... there should be lots of results

Maija Brandt said:
Decomposing water.
Don’t do this without professional supervision and a safety audit.

Likes davenn and berkeman
Sorry, that was muratic acid and zinc. It the same process.

Chestermiller said:

yeah, I should have mentioned that in my response o:)

cheers
Dave

Chestermiller said:

Don't forget the Hindenburg!

Hindenburg_disaster.jpg

Attachments

• Hindenburg_disaster.jpg
    Hindenburg_disaster.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,119
Likes davenn
Might be worth noting that it is pretty expensive (energy-wise) to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen... that is to say it costs more energy to separate them than one can reasonably expect to get back by burning one, the other or both.

On the other hand, separating hydrogen from hydrocarbons is a much less costly procedure, and is being done with membranes (Palladium, alloys, and now even some stainless steel alloys - experimentally) ... This technology is seen as having serious potential for hydrogen generation for use in fuel cells. This sort of thing is in its early stages, but is currently being used aboard some US Navy submarines for power generation.

diogenesNY

Likes davenn
diogenesNY said:
Might be worth noting that it is pretty expensive (energy-wise) to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen... that is to say it costs more energy to separate them than one can reasonably expect to get back by burning one, the other or both.

On the other hand, separating hydrogen from hydrocarbons is a much less costly procedure, and is being done with membranes (Palladium, alloys, and now even some stainless steel alloys - experimentally) ... This technology is seen as having serious potential for hydrogen generation for use in fuel cells. This sort of thing is in its early stages, but is currently being used aboard some US Navy submarines for power generation.

diogenesNY
I believe that this is why my chemistry set experiment use muratic acid with one anode zinc and the other I can't recall. At ten, I wasn't using a high voltage.

This was back in the 70s when chemistry set included actual chemicals and all the ingredients for gun powder could be purchased at the hobby shop and drugstore.

My Stepfather did electrolysis for his copper plating but that required a substantial power supply.

Something to note.is that NASA has engines that combine hydrogen and oxygen for thrust. It creates nothing but water. (No reference)

Related to Can you separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules?

1. How do you separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules?

To separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules, you can use a process called electrolysis. This involves passing an electric current through water, which breaks down the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas.

2. Is it possible to separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules without electricity?

Yes, it is possible to separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules without electricity. This can be done through a process called photolysis, where water molecules are broken down using sunlight as a source of energy.

3. What equipment is needed to separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules?

The equipment needed to separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules through electrolysis includes a power source, two electrodes (usually made of metal), and a container of water. The electrodes are connected to the power source and placed in the water, which is then subjected to an electric current.

4. How long does it take to separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules through electrolysis?

The time it takes to separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules through electrolysis depends on the amount of electricity used and the size of the electrodes. Generally, it takes a few minutes to produce a noticeable amount of gas, but a larger amount may take longer.

5. What are the uses for separated hydrogen and oxygen molecules?

Separated hydrogen and oxygen molecules have various uses, including as a fuel source for vehicles, in the production of chemicals, and in the production of electricity through fuel cells. Hydrogen gas can also be used in the food industry for packaging and preserving food.