How do hydrogen and oxygen mix?

In summary: I think the gas molecules are so small that they can't see the top or the bottom and they just mix randomly.
tackyattack
So I'm curious, if you mix two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen in a bottle, how do they mix? I know that it wouldn't turn into water unless lit on fire. If the bottle was turned upside down and uncapped, would the oxygen fall out the bottom and hydrogen float to the top? Or are the two molecules stuck together so that both would end up falling out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ambient conditions? Google "entropy of mixing."

tackyattack said:
So I'm curious, if you mix two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen in a bottle, how do they mix?
They mix by diffusion. So, when you start out, they are essentially completely intermixed (provided you've waited long enough).
I know that it wouldn't turn into water unless lit on fire. If the bottle was turned upside down and uncapped, would the oxygen fall out the bottom and hydrogen float to the top? Or are the two molecules stuck together so that both would end up falling out?
First, what do you think would happen if you turned it upside down and it wasn't uncapped?

Chestermiller said:
First, what do you think would happen if you turned it upside down and it wasn't uncapped?

I'm not sure. If it was lighter than air, it would float to the top. If it were heavier, it'd sink to the bottom?

tackyattack said:
I'm not sure. If it was lighter than air, it would float to the top. If it were heavier, it'd sink to the bottom?
Why doesn't it do that when the bottle is right-side-up?

Chestermiller said:
Why doesn't it do that when the bottle is right-side-up?

Because... Gravity...?

tackyattack said:
I know that it wouldn't turn into water unless lit on fire.

Not true - it takes very, very little energy to do this. Much less than can be provided by an ordinary spark due to static electricity. I've seen a balloon filled with a 2:1 mixture explode as soon as it touched the ceiling.

When you think about Chestermiller's question - how does the gas know whether the bottle is right side up or upside down?

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller

Related to How do hydrogen and oxygen mix?

1. How do hydrogen and oxygen mix?

Hydrogen and oxygen mix through a process called combustion. When the two gases are combined and exposed to heat or a spark, they react and form water (H2O) as a byproduct.

2. What is the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen in a mixture?

The ratio of hydrogen to oxygen in a mixture depends on the specific reaction or process taking place. In water (H2O), the ratio is 2:1, as there are two hydrogen atoms for every one oxygen atom.

3. Can hydrogen and oxygen mix without a spark or heat?

Yes, hydrogen and oxygen can mix without a spark or heat, but they will not react to form water. This is because a certain amount of energy is needed to break the bonds between the two elements and initiate the reaction.

4. What are the properties of hydrogen and oxygen when they are mixed together?

Hydrogen and oxygen have different physical and chemical properties when they are mixed together compared to when they are separate. When mixed, they form a colorless, odorless gas that is highly flammable and can support combustion.

5. Is it safe to mix hydrogen and oxygen?

Mixing hydrogen and oxygen can be dangerous if not done properly. The resulting gas is highly flammable and can cause explosions if exposed to a spark or heat source. It is important to handle and store these gases carefully and in appropriate conditions.