How to remove components from PCBs

• Thread starter Curl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, using a hot air gun to melt the solder is a successful way to remove components from a PCB.
Curl
I've been tearing some old PCBs up so I can build a nice collection of transistors and caps for myself, but the problem is I haven't figured out how I'm going to pull them off the PCB without cutting the legs off.

For some reason the solder is very strong and won't melt. I even took a propane blow torch to a PCB (for test) and the board caught on fire without melting the solder (the components melted too).

Is there a clever way of getting them off, or should I just use a Dremel to grind off the solder (is it even solder?) and pull them out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yikes, a blow torch? Removing components from a PCB is normally done with a soldering iron (or, preferably, a temperature controlled solder station with a variety of tips) and some solder wick. Sometimes it helps to add new solder to help reflow the old solder, before removing everything with the solder wick.

Youtube tutorial:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use a hot air gun for this. It is surprising to see, but hot air can melt solder.

You may lose a few components, but circuit boards are a good source of valuable parts.

Be careful though. Hot air can cause a burn if it reaches your skin, even by deflecting off the circuit board.

Curl said:
For some reason the solder is very strong and won't melt. I even took a propane blow torch to a PCB (for test) and the board caught on fire without melting the solder (the components melted too).

Success is more assured when you use a heavier (i.e., higher power and greater mass) soldering iron for unsoldering than you would use for the soldering. Any oxide on the solder surface seems to act as a thermal insulator, inhibiting heat flow from the iron into the solder. A solder-sucker or a piece of solder wick is almost essential to clear the area and allow you to see how the original assembler has neatly folded at 90 degrees the legs of many components so they make good contact with their copper pads. You'll often have to free these and unbend them one by one before they can pass back out through their mounting holes. :mad:

My experience is that unsoldering jobs like this are best suited to someone with 3 hands.

Good luck! http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Also - many mass produced boards are ROHS - using higher temperature solders - even Silver based at times, can be hard to melt without the right equipment. Also a Digital soldering iron, with temperature set point is helpful, you can often tell how hard the iron is working to maintain the temp - allowing you to get a set up that works and have more consistant process, and less chance of cooking the components.

Related to How to remove components from PCBs

1. How do I remove components from a PCB without damaging them?

To remove components from a PCB without damaging them, you should use a desoldering tool such as a soldering iron with a vacuum pump or a desoldering gun. This will allow you to heat the solder joint and then easily remove the component without putting too much stress on it. It is also important to use the correct temperature and technique when desoldering to avoid damaging the component.

2. Can I reuse components that have been removed from a PCB?

Yes, in most cases you can reuse components that have been removed from a PCB. However, it is important to inspect the component for any damage or wear before reusing it. It is also important to properly clean the component and remove any leftover solder before reinstalling it.

3. What is the best way to remove through-hole components from a PCB?

The best way to remove through-hole components from a PCB is by using a desoldering tool such as a soldering iron with a vacuum pump or a desoldering gun. You can also use a desoldering braid to wick away the solder from the component. It is important to heat the solder joint evenly to avoid damaging the component or the PCB.

4. How do I remove surface mount components from a PCB?

To remove surface mount components from a PCB, you can use a hot air rework station or a soldering iron with a fine tip. It is important to use the correct temperature and technique to avoid damaging the component or the PCB. You can also use a desoldering braid or a solder sucker to remove any leftover solder.

5. What precautions should I take when removing components from a PCB?

When removing components from a PCB, it is important to wear proper protective gear such as safety glasses and gloves. You should also use a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. It is also important to use the correct tools and techniques to avoid damaging the components or the PCB. If you are unsure about the process, it is best to seek help from a professional.