Vintage RCA audio preamp I'm trying to fix/learn from

• Thread starter rp55
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Audio
In summary, the conversation is about a vintage RCA audio preamp that stopped working after some time. The owner is trying to fix it as a learning experience and has provided schematics and a circuit model for help. They are having trouble understanding the circuit and getting it to work, but have checked the resistors and transistors and have suggested it could be due to bad electrolytic capacitors. They are also seeking advice on how to troubleshoot the circuit and are advised to measure all voltages and look for any open or short circuit components.
Baluncore said:
You are correct, apologies. A senior moment I believe.

I can relate to that. Funny when I read your explanation I recall just skipping it because my mind was already full with what I was thinking about (but I knew you knew) I couldn't deal with thinking about it. Certainly your initial response to this thread was in line with the solution (as well as enlightening me about other things such as differential input being handled by transformers plus other stuff I still don't understand).

So anyways I feel like this thread can be closed at this point. Thanks very much to all who helped out with input. I'm planning on opening another thread soon as I have questions about some basic transistor stuff... with the hopes that I can come back to "this" thread via a new, more specific one.

This thread helped me fix the problem I was having initially which was (as proven by the responses) fixed with a different methodology than needing to "understand" the circuit per say but did get me on a new track to get deeper into this.

But I can certainly appreciate how things can get mixed up and forgotten as there's so much! I mean I just spent all day (another one) verifying transistor workings confounded by conventional vs real current flow (with the stupid diagrams constantly being mirror imaged)... It's mind boggling stuff but very cool!

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is a vintage RCA audio preamp?</h2><p>A vintage RCA audio preamp is a piece of electronic equipment used to amplify and control the audio signal from a source, such as a turntable or CD player, before it is sent to a power amplifier and speakers. It was commonly used in home stereo systems in the mid-20th century.</p><h2>2. How do I know if my vintage RCA audio preamp is worth fixing?</h2><p>The value of a vintage RCA audio preamp depends on various factors, such as its condition, rarity, and demand. If it is a rare or sought-after model, it may be worth fixing. Additionally, if you have a personal attachment to the preamp or enjoy repairing and restoring vintage electronics, it may be worth fixing for sentimental or hobby purposes.</p><h2>3. What are some common issues with vintage RCA audio preamps?</h2><p>Some common issues with vintage RCA audio preamps include crackling or distorted sound, humming or buzzing noises, and faulty controls or switches. These issues can be caused by aging components, dirty contacts, or loose connections.</p><h2>4. Can I fix a vintage RCA audio preamp myself?</h2><p>It is possible to fix a vintage RCA audio preamp yourself if you have the necessary knowledge, skills, and tools. However, it is important to note that working with electronic equipment can be dangerous, and if you are not experienced in repairing electronics, it may be best to seek professional help to avoid causing further damage.</p><h2>5. Where can I find resources to help me fix my vintage RCA audio preamp?</h2><p>There are various online resources available to help you fix your vintage RCA audio preamp, such as repair manuals, forums, and YouTube tutorials. You can also consult with a professional repair technician or join a local vintage audio enthusiasts group for assistance and advice.</p>

Related to Vintage RCA audio preamp I'm trying to fix/learn from

1. What is a vintage RCA audio preamp?

A vintage RCA audio preamp is a piece of electronic equipment used to amplify and control the audio signal from a source, such as a turntable or CD player, before it is sent to a power amplifier and speakers. It was commonly used in home stereo systems in the mid-20th century.

2. How do I know if my vintage RCA audio preamp is worth fixing?

The value of a vintage RCA audio preamp depends on various factors, such as its condition, rarity, and demand. If it is a rare or sought-after model, it may be worth fixing. Additionally, if you have a personal attachment to the preamp or enjoy repairing and restoring vintage electronics, it may be worth fixing for sentimental or hobby purposes.

3. What are some common issues with vintage RCA audio preamps?

Some common issues with vintage RCA audio preamps include crackling or distorted sound, humming or buzzing noises, and faulty controls or switches. These issues can be caused by aging components, dirty contacts, or loose connections.

4. Can I fix a vintage RCA audio preamp myself?

It is possible to fix a vintage RCA audio preamp yourself if you have the necessary knowledge, skills, and tools. However, it is important to note that working with electronic equipment can be dangerous, and if you are not experienced in repairing electronics, it may be best to seek professional help to avoid causing further damage.

5. Where can I find resources to help me fix my vintage RCA audio preamp?

There are various online resources available to help you fix your vintage RCA audio preamp, such as repair manuals, forums, and YouTube tutorials. You can also consult with a professional repair technician or join a local vintage audio enthusiasts group for assistance and advice.