How to Pursue your Interests Without Getting a Thread Closed

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, Some people feel limited by the speculative nature of this forum, while others find it more annoying. My primary approach for avoiding getting a thread closed is to phrase my interesting idea as
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have seen many posts complaining about threads being closed due to being too speculative or subjective in posts.
When I first started using this forum, I also felt limited by this. Now I am used to this so it doesn't bother me so much.
Now I am just more annoyed by people making posts that kill threads for which I was composing posts (sometimes it takes me awhile to get a decent post together).

My primary approach for avoiding getting a thread closed is to
• phrase your interesting idea as a question with a scientific angle to it rather than as a statement, or
• link to link to some relevant references.

Perhaps there are other useful approaches.

Likes Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
The most useful approach is to just stick with mainstream science.

Likes Evo and QuantumQuest
BillTre said:
I have seen many posts complaining about threads being closed due to being too speculative or subjective in posts.
When I first started using this forum, I also felt limited by this. Now I am used to this so it doesn't bother me so much.
Now I am just more annoyed by people making posts that kill threads for which I was composing posts (sometimes it takes me awhile to get a decent post together).

My primary approach for avoiding getting a thread closed is to
• phrase your interesting idea as a question with a scientific angle to it rather than as a statement, or
• link to link to some relevant references.

Perhaps there are other useful approaches.
Those can both be useful approaches, of course Phinds is the safest. If you have written out a thoughtful, mainstream post that you didn't get to post, PM it to the mentor and ask if you may be allowed to add it to the thread. If it adds value, we may sometimes allow it to be added, we don't want good information to go to waste. We just have to be careful that it doesn't appear to "prod" the person that is the reason for the thread closing, as they will often want to respond to the added post, then you want to respond, then they want to respond...

Likes berkeman
Evo said:
of course Phinds is the safest

"Safe" is NOT my middle name!

This is what made me come to this sub-forum. I get why the main sub-forums have to keep to non-speculative stuff, but why not have an exta bit where people can discuss stuff that would get deleted elsewhere? Does this exist already and I've not looked hard enough for it?

Anchovy said:
This is what made me come to this sub-forum. I get why the main sub-forums have to keep to non-speculative stuff, but why not have an exta bit where people can discuss stuff that would get deleted elsewhere? Does this exist already and I've not looked hard enough for it?
There are some older threads on this question... we have tried it, in several different ways over the years. It doesn't work in an open internet forum in which anyone is free to introduce noise.

Anchovy said:
but why not have an exta bit where people can discuss stuff that would get deleted elsewhere? Does this exist already and I've not looked hard enough for it?
We did have this sort of thing once upon a time. We couldn't get it to work to our satisfaction. You can read about the history at the end of this page:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/speculation/

Ah, well that's my question answered.

My intent for the original post was to explore the ways around this problem within the constraints on speculation.

For example (example only not a speculation):
Instead of writing:
"I think that dark matter is due to entangled particles that arise in parallel universes when wave functions collapse and have trans-multiverse gravitational effects."

The statement could be broken down into a series of separately posted questions that have a less speculative tone, such as:

What are current thoughts on the relationship between wave function collapse and alternate multiverses?
What are current thoughts on entanglement between alternate multiverses?
What kind of (if any) gravitational effects might entangled particles have?

Presenting the questions as separate posts would further reduce the overall speculative nature of the whole,
but could possibly satisfy one's own interest in finding out what others might think of the overall idea.
It might also help you better understand your own thoughts.

Likes Ygggdrasil
BillTre said:
What are current thoughts on the relationship between wave function collapse and alternate multiverses?
What are current thoughts on entanglement between alternate multiverses?
What kind of (if any) gravitational effects might entangled particles have?
You forgot to post the links to the reading you've been doing... :biggrin:

Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
You forgot to post the links to the reading you've been doing... :biggrin:

Good point!

Likes berkeman

Related to How to Pursue your Interests Without Getting a Thread Closed

1. How can I pursue my interests without getting a thread closed?

To pursue your interests without getting a thread closed, make sure to read and follow the community guidelines and rules set by the platform. Additionally, use respectful and appropriate language, avoid controversial or offensive topics, and engage in constructive discussions with others.

2. What can I do if my thread is at risk of getting closed?

If your thread is at risk of getting closed, try to understand why and address any issues that may have caused it. If possible, reach out to a moderator or administrator for clarification and ask for advice on how to improve the thread to prevent it from getting closed.

3. Why do threads get closed?

Threads may get closed for various reasons, such as violating community guidelines, promoting spam or self-promotion, or engaging in disrespectful or inappropriate behavior. Threads may also get closed if they are deemed irrelevant or off-topic for the platform or if they have already been discussed extensively.

4. How can I avoid my thread getting closed due to duplicate topics?

To avoid your thread getting closed due to duplicate topics, use the search function to check if your topic has already been discussed. If it has, consider joining the existing discussion instead of creating a new thread. If you do create a new thread, make sure to clearly state the differences and provide new insights or perspectives to the topic.

5. Is it possible to pursue my interests without getting a thread closed on any platform?

While it's never guaranteed, it is possible to pursue your interests without getting a thread closed on any platform by following the community guidelines and rules, being respectful and considerate of others, and actively participating in constructive discussions. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the platform's specific policies and guidelines for posting and interacting with others.