How to Prove the Limit of a Function at a Point with Multiple Paths?

• Thread starter mathnerd15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about a printing mistake in a copy of Apostol's calculus book and the difficulty of proving a limit problem on page 251. The problem involves showing that the iterated limits are not equal and that the function approaches 0 as the variables approach 0. The individual is seeking help with proving the limit using different paths, such as parabolic, x=y, and polar paths.
mathnerd15
Apostol Limit Problem?

Homework Statement

I can't afford the Apostol calculus vol. 2 there's a printing mistake in my copy of Apostol and I'm not sure how to prove this, p.251

let f(x,y)={xsin(1/y) if y doesn't equal 0
and f=0 if y=0
prove that the iterated limits are not equal and that the f(x,y)->0 as (x,y)->(0,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

how exactly do you prove the limit for (x,y)->0 from all possible paths, parabolic paths, x=y, polar paths?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathnerd15 said:

Homework Statement

I can't afford the Apostol calculus vol. 2 there's a printing mistake in my copy of Apostol and I'm not sure how to prove this, p.251

let f(x,y)={xsin(1/y) if y doesn't equal 0
and f=0 if y=0
prove that the iterated limits are not equal and that the f(x,y)->0 as (x,y)->(0,0)

If this is exercise 5 of section 8.5, then what you have corresponds to my text (save that it's on page 252.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

how exactly do you prove the limit for (x,y)->0 from all possible paths, parabolic paths, x=y, polar paths?

Use
[tex]
|x \sin y^{-1}| \leq |x| \leq \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}
[/tex]

Likes 1 person

Related to How to Prove the Limit of a Function at a Point with Multiple Paths?

1. What is the unreadable limit problem?

The unreadable limit problem is a mathematical concept that refers to a situation where a limit cannot be determined or is difficult to read due to various factors such as infinity, divergence, or oscillation.

2. How is the unreadable limit problem different from other limit problems?

The unreadable limit problem differs from other limit problems because it is not possible to find a definite value for the limit. In other limit problems, a limit can be determined using various techniques such as substitution or L'Hopital's rule.

3. What are some common examples of the unreadable limit problem?

Some common examples of the unreadable limit problem include limits that result in an undefined or infinite value, such as 1/0 or ∞/∞. Another example is a limit that oscillates between two values and does not converge to a specific value.

4. How can the unreadable limit problem be solved?

In some cases, the unreadable limit problem can be solved by using advanced techniques such as Cesàro summation or Abel summation. However, in many cases, the limit may remain unreadable and can only be approximated using numerical methods.

5. Why is the unreadable limit problem important in mathematics?

The unreadable limit problem is important in mathematics as it highlights the limitations of our methods and techniques in solving complex problems. It also challenges mathematicians to develop new techniques and approaches to tackle these types of problems. Additionally, the unreadable limit problem has applications in various fields, including physics and engineering.