How to Prove the Decomposition Theorem for Projections on a Vector Space?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the Decomposition Theorem for Projections on a Vector Space states that any vector can be decomposed into two orthogonal components: a projection onto a subspace and a projection onto the orthogonal complement of that subspace. This theorem is fundamental in vector space analysis and is used in various applications such as signal processing, computer graphics, and data analysis. The proof of the Decomposition Theorem involves using the properties of projections and orthogonal complements, and it can be extended to higher dimensions and other inner product spaces. Some real-world applications of this theorem include image and signal processing, data analysis, and physics and engineering.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $P_1,\ldots, P_n$ be a sequence of projections on a vector space $V$ such that $P_iP_j = 0$ whenever $i \neq j$ and $P_1 + \cdots + P_n = I$. Prove that

$$V = \operatorname{Im}(P_1) \oplus \cdots \oplus \operatorname{Im}(P_n).$$

-----

Note: By a projection $P$ on a vector space $V$, I mean a linear operator on $V$ such that $P^2 = P$.

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can find my solution below.
Given $v \in V$, $v = P_1(v)+ P_2(v) + \cdots + P_n(v)$. Furthermore, since the $P_i$ are projections, $P_i(v) \in \operatorname{Im}(P_i)$. Thus $v \in \operatorname{Im}(P_1) + \cdots + \operatorname{Im}(P_n)$ and consequently $V = \operatorname{Im}(P_1) + \cdots + \operatorname{Im}(P_n)$. Now suppose $0 = v_1 + \cdots + v_n$ for some $v_i \in \operatorname{Im}(P_i)$. For each $k\in \{1,2,\ldots, n\}$, $P_k(v_i) = 0$ for all $i \neq k$; this is due to the condition $P_iP_j = 0$ whenever $i \neq j$. So from the equation $0 = v_1 + \cdots + v_n$, we deduce $0 = P_k(v_k) = v_k$. It follows that $v_1 = \cdots = v_n = 0$. Hence, $V = \operatorname{Im}(P_1) \oplus \cdots \oplus \operatorname{Im}(P_n)$.

Related to How to Prove the Decomposition Theorem for Projections on a Vector Space?

1. What is the Decomposition Theorem for Projections on a Vector Space?

The Decomposition Theorem for Projections on a Vector Space states that any vector can be decomposed into two orthogonal components: a projection onto a subspace and a projection onto the orthogonal complement of that subspace.

2. How is the Decomposition Theorem used in vector space analysis?

The Decomposition Theorem is a fundamental concept in vector space analysis and is used to break down a vector into its component parts in order to better understand its properties and behaviors. It is also used in various applications such as signal processing, computer graphics, and data analysis.

3. What is the proof of the Decomposition Theorem for Projections on a Vector Space?

The proof of the Decomposition Theorem involves using the properties of projections and orthogonal complements to show that any vector can be decomposed into two orthogonal components. This proof is often presented in linear algebra courses and can be found in various textbooks and online resources.

4. Can the Decomposition Theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Decomposition Theorem can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, it can be generalized to any inner product space, not just vector spaces. This means that the theorem can be applied to a wide range of mathematical and scientific disciplines.

5. What are some applications of the Decomposition Theorem in real-world scenarios?

The Decomposition Theorem has many real-world applications, such as in image and signal processing, where it is used to enhance and analyze images and signals. It is also used in data analysis to break down complex datasets into more manageable components, and in physics and engineering to analyze and model various physical systems.