How to prove Schrodinger's equation in momentum space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of expressing potential in momentum space and suggests using the position operator in momentum space. A link is provided for further information on Fourier transforms, and two approaches to solving the problem are presented - one using Dirac's notation and the other without it. Both methods involve using the completeness relation and Fourier transforms to rewrite the potential term in the Schrodinger's equation.
Joker93
Specifically, i do not know hot to express the potential in momentum space. If someone would provide me with a link of source that has the proof in it, it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam Landos said:
i do not know hot to express the potential in momentum space

Hint: find the position operator in momentum space, analogous to the momentum operator in position space.

jtbell said:
Hint: find the position operator in momentum space, analogous to the momentum operator in position space.
Hello and thanks for the reply. What about the potential? How will we convert that to momentum space.

Adam Landos said:
What about the potential? How will we convert that to momentum space.

well i personally have not done calculations in momentum space but i can suggest you a site where such transformations have been done -i think its related to Fourier Transforms from coordinate to momentum space or vice versa.. see

<http://www.phys.kyushu-u.ac.jp/fb20/PresentationFiles/Parallel-VIIIb/FB20_Yamaguchi.pdf >

Adam Landos said:
Hello and thanks for the reply. What about the potential? How will we convert that to momentum space.
In momentum space, you cannot consider the potential in a separate mathematical expression with the state it acts on. In position space, you have ##V(x)\psi(x)##, then performing Fourier transform of this term will give you a convolution, ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \tilde{V}(p-p')\tilde{\psi}(p')dp'## where ##\tilde{V}(p)## and ##\tilde{\psi}(p)## are the Fourier transforms of the potential and the state, respectively.

Adam Landos said:
What about the potential? How will we convert that to momentum space.

The potential is a function of position, right? Substitute the position operator for x. Consider how you do something similar for functions of momentum, e.g. p2, in position space.

Adam Landos said:
Specifically, i do not know hot to express the potential in momentum space. If someone would provide me with a link of source that has the proof in it, it would be appreciated.

1) If you know Dirac’s notation
Start with [tex]i\partial_{t}|\Psi (t) \rangle = H (X , P) | \Psi (t) \rangle = \frac{P^{2}}{2m} |\Psi (t)\rangle + V(X) |\Psi (t) \rangle ,[/tex] where [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex] are operators but [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] will be used to mean ordinary numbers. In fact, we will work in 3D, so the operators [itex]X = (X_{1},X_{2},X_{3})[/itex], [itex]P = (P_{1},P_{2},P_{3})[/itex], while [itex]x = (x_{1},x_{2},x_{3})[/itex] and [itex]p=(p_{1},p_{2},p_{3})[/itex]. Multiply from the left by the bra [itex]\langle p |[/itex] and use [tex]\langle p | \frac{P^{2}}{2m} = \frac{p^{2}}{2m}\langle p | .[/tex]
Introduce the wave function notation [itex]\langle p | \Psi (t) \rangle = \Psi (p ,t)[/itex]
[tex]i\partial_{t}\Psi (p,t) = \frac{p^{2}}{2m}\Psi (p,t) + \langle p | V(X) | \Psi (t)\rangle .[/tex] Now, let us work on the potential term. Insert the completeness relation [itex]\int d^{3}x \ |x\rangle \langle x | = 1[/itex] between [itex]\langle p|[/itex] and [itex]V(X)[/itex], then use
[tex]\langle x | V(X) | \Psi (t)\rangle = V(x) \langle x | \Psi (t)\rangle [/tex]
and
[tex]\langle p | x \rangle = e^{i x \cdot p } .[/tex]
So the potential term becomes
[tex]\langle p | V(X) | \Psi (t)\rangle = \int d^{3}x \ V(x) \ e^{i x \cdot p } \langle x | \Psi (t) \rangle .[/tex]
Now, insert the completeness relation [itex]\int d^{3}\bar{p} \ | \bar{p}\rangle \langle \bar{p} | = 1[/itex] between [itex]\langle x |[/itex] and [itex]| \Psi (t)\rangle[/itex] and use
[tex]\langle x | \bar{p}\rangle = e^{- i x \cdot \bar{p}}, \ \ \langle \bar{p}| \Psi (t)\rangle = \Psi ( \bar{p},t)[/tex]
So, the potential term becomes
[tex]\langle p | V(X) | \Psi (t)\rangle = \int d^{3}\bar{p} \left( \int d^{3}x \ V(x) \ e^{i x \cdot (p - \bar{p})} \right) \ \Psi (\bar{p},t) .[/tex]
The integral in the bracket is just the Fourier transform of [itex]V(x)[/itex]
[tex]V(p - \bar{p}) = \int d^{3}x \ V(x) \ e^{i x \cdot (p - \bar{p})} .[/tex]
So, we rewrite the potential term as
[tex]\langle p | V(X) | \Psi (t)\rangle = \int d^{3}\bar{p} \ V(p - \bar{p}) \Psi (p,t) ,[/tex]
and the whole Schrodinger’s equation becomes just an ordinary integral equation
[tex]i\partial_{t}\Psi (p,t) = \frac{p^{2}}{2m} \Psi(p,t) + \int d^{3}\bar{p} \ V(p - \bar{p}) \Psi (p,t) .[/tex]
2) If you do not know the Dirac notation
Start with
[tex]i\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi (x,t) = - \frac{1}{2m} \nabla^{2} \Psi (x,t) + V(x) \Psi (x,t) .[/tex]
Multiply by [itex]\exp (i x \cdot p )[/itex], integrate over [itex]x[/itex] and use
[tex] \Phi (p,t) = \int d^{3}x \ e^{i x \cdot p} \ \Psi (x,t) .[/tex]
In the differential term on the right, integrate by parts twice and neglect surface term:
[tex]\int d^{3}x \ e^{i x \cdot p} \ \nabla^{2}\Psi (x,t) = \int d^{3}x \ \Psi (x,t) \nabla^{2}\left( e^{i x \cdot p} \right) = - p^{2} \Phi (p,t) .[/tex]
Okay, now for the potential term, use
[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \int d^{3}y \ \Psi(y,t) \delta ( x - y) ,[/tex] and for the delta function, use the integral representation
[tex]\delta (x-y) = \int d^{3}\bar{p} \ e^{- i (x-y) \cdot \bar{p}} .[/tex]
So, after changing the order of integrations, the potential term can be written as
[tex]\int d^{3}x \ V(x) \Psi(x,t) e^{i x \cdot p} = \int d^{3}\bar{p} \left( \int d^{3}x \ V(x) e^{i x \cdot (p - \bar{p}) } \right) \left( \int d^{3}y \ e^{ i y \cdot \bar{p}} \Psi(x,t) \right) .[/tex]
Well, the integrals in the brackets on right hand of this are just the Fourier transforms of [itex]V(x)[/itex] and [itex]\Psi (x,t)[/itex]. So we can rewrite the potential term as
[tex]\int d^{3}x \ V(x) \Psi(x,t) e^{i x \cdot p} = \int d^{3}\bar{p} \ V(p-\bar{p}) \Phi (p,t) .[/tex]
And, the whole equation becomes
[tex]i \partial_{t} \Phi (p,t) = \frac{p^{2}}{2m} \Phi (p,t) + \int d^{3}\bar{p} \ V(p-\bar{p}) \Phi (p,t) .[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Juan David, ShayanJ, Joker93 and 4 others
samalkhaiat said:
1) If you know Dirac’s notation
Start with [tex]i\partial_{t}|\Psi (t) \rangle = H (X , P) | \Psi (t) \rangle = \frac{P^{2}}{2m} |\Psi (t)\rangle + V(X) |\Psi (t) \rangle ,[/tex] where [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex] are operators but [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] will be used to mean ordinary numbers. In fact, we will work in 3D, so the operators [itex]X = (X_{1},X_{2},X_{3})[/itex], [itex]P = (P_{1},P_{2},P_{3})[/itex], while [itex]x = (x_{1},x_{2},x_{3})[/itex] and [itex]p=(p_{1},p_{2},p_{3})[/itex]. Multiply from the left by the bra [itex]\langle p |[/itex] and use [tex]\langle p | \frac{P^{2}}{2m} = \frac{p^{2}}{2m}\langle p | .[/tex]
Introduce the wave function notation [itex]\langle p | \Psi (t) \rangle = \Psi (p ,t)[/itex]
[tex]i\partial_{t}\Psi (p,t) = \frac{p^{2}}{2m}\Psi (p,t) + \langle p | V(X) | \Psi (t)\rangle .[/tex] Now, let us work on the potential term. Insert the completeness relation [itex]\int d^{3}x \ |x\rangle \langle x | = 1[/itex] between [itex]\langle p|[/itex] and [itex]V(X)[/itex], then use
[tex]\langle x | V(X) | \Psi (t)\rangle = V(x) \langle x | \Psi (t)\rangle [/tex]
and
[tex]\langle p | x \rangle = e^{i x \cdot p } .[/tex]
So the potential term becomes
[tex]\langle p | V(X) | \Psi (t)\rangle = \int d^{3}x \ V(x) \ e^{i x \cdot p } \langle x | \Psi (t) \rangle .[/tex]
Now, insert the completeness relation [itex]\int d^{3}\bar{p} \ | \bar{p}\rangle \langle \bar{p} | = 1[/itex] between [itex]\langle x |[/itex] and [itex]| \Psi (t)\rangle[/itex] and use
[tex]\langle x | \bar{p}\rangle = e^{- i x \cdot \bar{p}}, \ \ \langle \bar{p}| \Psi (t)\rangle = \Psi ( \bar{p},t)[/tex]
So, the potential term becomes
[tex]\langle p | V(X) | \Psi (t)\rangle = \int d^{3}\bar{p} \left( \int d^{3}x \ V(x) \ e^{i x \cdot (p - \bar{p})} \right) \ \Psi (\bar{p},t) .[/tex]
The integral in the bracket is just the Fourier transform of [itex]V(x)[/itex]
[tex]V(p - \bar{p}) = \int d^{3}x \ V(x) \ e^{i x \cdot (p - \bar{p})} .[/tex]
So, we rewrite the potential term as
[tex]\langle p | V(X) | \Psi (t)\rangle = \int d^{3}\bar{p} \ V(p - \bar{p}) \Psi (p,t) ,[/tex]
and the whole Schrodinger’s equation becomes just an ordinary integral equation
[tex]i\partial_{t}\Psi (p,t) = \frac{p^{2}}{2m} \Psi(p,t) + \int d^{3}\bar{p} \ V(p - \bar{p}) \Psi (p,t) .[/tex]
2) If you do not know the Dirac notation
Start with
[tex]i\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi (x,t) = - \frac{1}{2m} \nabla^{2} \Psi (x,t) + V(x) \Psi (x,t) .[/tex]
Multiply by [itex]\exp (i x \cdot p )[/itex], integrate over [itex]x[/itex] and use
[tex] \Phi (p,t) = \int d^{3}x \ e^{i x \cdot p} \ \Psi (x,t) .[/tex]
In the differential term on the right, integrate by parts twice and neglect surface term:
[tex]\int d^{3}x \ e^{i x \cdot p} \ \nabla^{2}\Psi (x,t) = \int d^{3}x \ \Psi (x,t) \nabla^{2}\left( e^{i x \cdot p} \right) = - p^{2} \Phi (p,t) .[/tex]
Okay, now for the potential term, use
[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \int d^{3}y \ \Psi(y,t) \delta ( x - y) ,[/tex] and for the delta function, use the integral representation
[tex]\delta (x-y) = \int d^{3}\bar{p} \ e^{- i (x-y) \cdot \bar{p}} .[/tex]
So, after changing the order of integrations, the potential term can be written as
[tex]\int d^{3}x \ V(x) \Psi(x,t) e^{i x \cdot p} = \int d^{3}\bar{p} \left( \int d^{3}x \ V(x) e^{i x \cdot (p - \bar{p}) } \right) \left( \int d^{3}y \ e^{ i y \cdot \bar{p}} \Psi(x,t) \right) .[/tex]
Well, the integrals in the brackets on right hand of this are just the Fourier transforms of [itex]V(x)[/itex] and [itex]\Psi (x,t)[/itex]. So we can rewrite the potential term as
[tex]\int d^{3}x \ V(x) \Psi(x,t) e^{i x \cdot p} = \int d^{3}\bar{p} \ V(p-\bar{p}) \Phi (p,t) .[/tex]
And, the whole equation becomes
[tex]i \partial_{t} \Phi (p,t) = \frac{p^{2}}{2m} \Phi (p,t) + \int d^{3}\bar{p} \ V(p-\bar{p}) \Phi (p,t) .[/tex]
Thanks, but i should point a mistake. In the third line from the end, in the third bracket, it must be Ψ(y,t) rather than Ψ(x,t). Also, in the last line, it must be [tex]\Phi(\bar{p},t) [/tex]
Oh, and thanks again for taking the time to derive it for me!

Last edited:
Adam Landos said:
Thanks, but i should point a mistake. In the third line from the end, in the third bracket, it must be Ψ(y,t) rather than Ψ(x,t). Also, in the last line, it must be [tex]\Phi(\bar{p},t) [/tex]
Oh, and thanks again for taking the time to derive it for me!
Yes, clearly those were typos. Thanks, at least I know that you have read it all.

Likes Joker93

Related to How to prove Schrodinger's equation in momentum space?

1. What is Schrodinger's equation in momentum space?

Schrodinger's equation in momentum space is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of a quantum system in terms of its momentum. It is an extension of the original Schrodinger's equation, which describes the behavior of a quantum system in position space.

2. How is Schrodinger's equation in momentum space derived?

Schrodinger's equation in momentum space can be derived by applying a Fourier transform to the original Schrodinger's equation. This transforms the equation from position space to momentum space, allowing us to describe the system's behavior in terms of its momentum.

3. What are the advantages of using Schrodinger's equation in momentum space?

Schrodinger's equation in momentum space allows us to analyze quantum systems from a different perspective, which may provide insights and solutions that are not readily apparent in position space. It also simplifies certain calculations and makes it easier to describe certain physical phenomena, such as wave-particle duality.

4. Can Schrodinger's equation in momentum space be used for all quantum systems?

Yes, Schrodinger's equation in momentum space is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and can be used to describe the behavior of any quantum system, regardless of its complexity.

5. How is Schrodinger's equation in momentum space related to the uncertainty principle?

Schrodinger's equation in momentum space is closely related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is because the equation describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain momentum state, rather than a specific value.