How to prove orthogonality on a set of functions?

In summary: You are getting there. But you can have a set of more than two mutually orthogonal functions. For example, {sin(x),sin(2x),sin(3x)} are mutually orthogonal on the interval [-2pi,2pi]. Any pair you pick out of that set are orthogonal. For your set and interval, that doesn't happen. Any set of three functions won't be mutually orthogonal. You just have to figure out the reason.
Jay9313

Homework Statement

A set of functions, F, is given below. Determine the size of the largest subset of F which is mutually orthogonal on the interval [-1, 1], and find all such subsets of this size. Show all of your work.

F = { 1, x, x2 , sin(x), cos(x), cosh(x), sinh(x)}

Homework Equations

Not really any relevant equations, but I am aware that for a function to be orthogonal on symmetric bounds, the integral of the product of the functions on those symmetric bounds must be equal to 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have yet to complete an attempt because I'm not quite sure how to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jay9313 said:

Homework Statement

A set of functions, F, is given below. Determine the size of the largest subset of F which is mutually orthogonal on the interval [-1, 1], and find all such subsets of this size. Show all of your work.

F = { 1, x, x2 , sin(x), cos(x), cosh(x), sinh(x)}

Homework Equations

Not really any relevant equations, but I am aware that for a function to be orthogonal on symmetric bounds, the integral of the product of the functions on those symmetric bounds must be equal to 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have yet to complete an attempt because I'm not quite sure how to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Start by finding some pairs of functions in the set that are orthogonal. Since you are working on a symmetric interval considering whether functions are even or odd can help a lot. You really don't have to do much integrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dick said:
Start by finding some pairs of functions in the set that are orthogonal. Since you are working on a symmetric interval considering whether functions are even or odd can help a lot. You really don't have to do much integrating.

Yeah, I got that! Lol. I'm just wondering, because it seems that the largest subset can only contain two functions..

Jay9313 said:
Yeah, I got that! Lol. I'm just wondering, because it seems that the largest subset can only contain two functions..

Seems that way to me too. Can you explain why?

Oh, I was confused. I thought that if you multiply all of the functions together, then they will end up being an odd function, meaning that the entire set multiplied together is mutually orthogonal. BUT the question was asking about two functions at a time being multiplied together. It makes a lot more sense. Now I just have to prove which functions you can and can't multiply together to form a subset. Thank you!

Jay9313 said:
Oh, I was confused. I thought that if you multiply all of the functions together, then they will end up being an odd function, meaning that the entire set multiplied together is mutually orthogonal. BUT the question was asking about two functions at a time being multiplied together. It makes a lot more sense. Now I just have to prove which functions you can and can't multiply together to form a subset. Thank you!

You are getting there. But you can have a set of more than two mutually orthogonal functions. For example, {sin(x),sin(2x),sin(3x)} are mutually orthogonal on the interval [-2pi,2pi]. Any pair you pick out of that set are orthogonal. For your set and interval, that doesn't happen. Any set of three functions won't be mutually orthogonal. You just have to figure out the reason.

Related to How to prove orthogonality on a set of functions?

1. What does it mean for two functions to be orthogonal?

Two functions are considered orthogonal if their inner product is equal to zero. This means that the integral of the product of the two functions over their common domain is zero.

2. How can we prove orthogonality between two functions?

To prove orthogonality between two functions, we need to show that their inner product is equal to zero. This can be done by integrating the product of the two functions over their domain and showing that the result is equal to zero.

3. What is the significance of proving orthogonality on a set of functions?

Proving orthogonality on a set of functions is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including Fourier analysis, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It allows us to decompose a function into orthogonal components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

4. Can we prove orthogonality between more than two functions?

Yes, orthogonality can be proven between any number of functions as long as their inner product is equal to zero. This is often done in mathematical proofs and applications where multiple functions are involved.

5. Are there any specific techniques for proving orthogonality on a set of functions?

There are various techniques for proving orthogonality on a set of functions, including using properties of orthogonal polynomials, applying the Gram-Schmidt process, and using the Fourier transform. The specific technique used will depend on the context and the functions involved.