How to Proceed with Analytical Functions Proof?

In summary, the homework statement is that:-Differentiation is used to calculate the derivatives of two equations.-The notation for differentiation is confusing, and requires specifying where the derivative is evaluated.-To simplify the notation, you could rewrite the equation as:-Differentiation is used to calculate the derivatives of two equations.-The notation for differentiation is simpler when you specify where the derivative is evaluated.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

See pdf - file

Homework Equations

See pdf - file

The Attempt at a Solution

See pdf - file

Is it right so far? How can I proceed?

Attachments

• c4.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 332
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you relate [itex]\partial u(\bar z)/\partial x[/itex] and [itex]\partial u(z)/\partial x[/itex], or [itex]\partial u(\bar z)/\partial y[/itex] and [itex]\partial u(z)/\partial y[/itex]?

yeah, that is what I am trying to figure out HOW :P

[itex]\partial u(\bar z)/\partial x[/itex] = [itex]\partial u(z)/\partial x[/itex]

I think

and

[itex]\partial u(\bar z)/\partial y[/itex] = [itex]- \partial u(z)/\partial y[/itex]

?? =)

Not quite. The notation is a little confusing here, since the same symbol is used to show the variable being differentiated and the place the derivative is evaluated. To be clear, you should specify where the derivative is evaluated separately.

In this case we have:

[tex]\frac{\partial u(\bar z)}{\partial x} =\frac{\partial u(x-iy)}{\partial x}[/tex]

Now we should rewrite this as:

[tex]= \frac{\partial u(x'-iy')}{\partial x'} \left|_{x'=x, y'=y}[/tex]

This might seem stupid, but it allows us to get what you need as follows:

[tex]= \frac{\partial u(x'+iy')}{\partial x'} \left|_{x'=x, y'=-y}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\partial u(z')}{\partial x'} \left|_{z'=\bar z}[/tex]

and similarly for the derivative with respect to y, although there's one more step there.

StatusX said:
Not quite. The notation is a little confusing here, since the same symbol is used to show the variable being differentiated and the place the derivative is evaluated. To be clear, you should specify where the derivative is evaluated separately.

In this case we have:

[tex]\frac{\partial u(\bar z)}{\partial x} =\frac{\partial u(x-iy)}{\partial x}[/tex]

Now we should rewrite this as:

[tex]= \frac{\partial u(x'-iy')}{\partial x'} \left|_{x'=x, y'=y}[/tex]

This might seem stupid, but it allows us to get what you need as follows:

[tex]= \frac{\partial u(x'+iy')}{\partial x'} \left|_{x'=x, y'=-y}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\partial u(z')}{\partial x'} \left|_{z'=\bar z}[/tex]

and similarly for the derivative with respect to y, although there's one more step there.

I am sorry, the notation really confused me :S

Try think of it this way. If f(z)=f(x+iy)=u(x,y)+i*v(x,y). So g(z)=u(x,-y)-i*v(x,-y). So using the CR equations for u and v, prove the CR equations for U(x,y)=u(x,-y) and V(x,y)=-v(x,-y).

I still don't get it, what is worng? :S

[tex]U(x,y)=u(x,-y) and V(x,y)=-v(x,-y)[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{\partial U(x,y)}{\partial x} =\dfrac{\partial u(x,-y)}{\partial x} = \dfrac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{\partial U(x,y)}{\partial y} =\dfrac{\partial u(x,-y)}{\partial y} = - \dfrac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial y} [/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{\partial V(x,y)}{\partial x} =\dfrac{\partial (-v(x,-y))}{\partial x} = -\dfrac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial x} [/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{\partial V(x,y)}{\partial y} =\dfrac{\partial (-v(x,-y))}{\partial y} = \dfrac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial y}[/tex]

Is apparently wrong, how would you do this Dick? Dont show me all, just show for one of them, then I try more myself.

thanks.

Is not wrong. Is right! I'll do one. Since du(x,y)/dy=-dv(x,y)/dx or du(x,-y)/dy=dv(x,-y)/dx (CR for f), from what you've sent, dU(x,y)/dy=du(x,-y)/dy=dv(x,-y)/dx=-dV(x,y)/dx which is the second CR for g.

Last edited:
Well, almost correct. Change things like
[tex]\dfrac{\partial U(x,y)}{\partial x} =\dfrac{\partial u(x,-y)}{\partial x} = \dfrac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}[/tex]
to:
[tex]\dfrac{\partial U(x,y)}{\partial x} =\dfrac{\partial u(x,-y)}{\partial x} = \dfrac{\partial u(x,-y)}{\partial x}[/tex]

You can't just ignore the -y's, the U and V need them.

and for the thoughest one: ?

[tex]\dfrac{\partial V(x,y)}{\partial y} =\dfrac{\partial (-v(x,-y))}{\partial y} = (-1)(-1)\dfrac{\partial (-v(x,-y))}{\partial x}[/tex]

dV(x,y)/dy=d(-v(x,-y))/dy=-dv(x,-y)/dy=du(x,-y)/dx=dU(x,y)/dx. Since du(x,y)/dx=dv(x,y)/dy implies du(x,-y)/dx=-dv(x,-y)/dy.

hmm why is

dV(x,y)/dy=d(-v(x,-y))/dy=-dv(x,-y)/dy

?

I still think it is:

[tex]\dfrac{\partial}{\partial y}\left( V(h(x,y),g(x,y))\right) = \dfrac{\partial h(x,y)}{\partial y}\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial y}+ \dfrac{\partial g(x,y)}{\partial y}\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial y}[/tex]

[tex]
V(h(x,y),g(x,y)) = -v(x,-y)[/tex]

[tex]
h(x,y) = x[/tex]

[tex]
g(x,y)=-y
[/tex]

gives

[tex]
\dfrac{\partial h(x,y)}{\partial y}\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial y}+
[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{\partial g(x,y)}{\partial y}\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial y}=
[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{\partial g(x,y)}{\partial y}\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial y}=\\
[/tex]

[tex]
-1\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial y}= -1\dfrac{\partial (-v(h,g))}{\partial y}\\
[/tex]

[tex]
=(-1)(-1)\dfrac{\partial (v(x,-y))}{\partial y}\\
[/tex]

where am I wrong about this? Sorry for being noob :P

Since du(x,y)/dx=dv(x,y)/dy implies du(x,-y)/dx=-dv(x,-y)/dy

is due to:

d/dy(v(x,h(y)) = (dh/dy)*(dv(x,h)/dy) = -1(dv(x,h)/dy)

?

So why not chain rule when differentiating V(x,y)= -v(x,-y) ?

Never mind, my teacher will help me tomorrow. Thanks for all help!

malawi_glenn said:
hmm why is

dV(x,y)/dy=d(-v(x,-y))/dy=-dv(x,-y)/dy

?

This is not a chain rule. I'm just substituting equals for equals. V(x,y) is DEFINED to be -v(x,-y). Similarly using:

du(x,y)/dx=dv(x,y)/dy

I just SUBSTITUTE -y for y getting du(x,-y)/dx=dv(x,-y)/d(-y). If you want to appeal to the one-dimensional chain rule now dv(x,-y)/d(-y)=(dv(x,-y)/dy)*(dy/d(-y))=-dv(x,-y)/dy. Just a change of variable in y.
There is no use of the chain rule for partial derivatives here (which I don't think you are stating quite correctly). Does that help? I sympathize here, this can be confusing.

I think I got it now, will show my teacher my thougts and work tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys!

see ya

Related to How to Proceed with Analytical Functions Proof?

1. What are analytical functions?

Analytical functions are mathematical expressions or formulas that can be used to describe and analyze data. They are commonly used in scientific research and data analysis to identify patterns and relationships in large datasets.

2. What is the purpose of proof in analytical functions?

The purpose of proof in analytical functions is to provide evidence or justification for the validity of a mathematical statement or formula. Proofs help to ensure the accuracy and reliability of analytical functions and their results, allowing for more confident analysis and conclusions.

3. How are analytical functions used in scientific research?

Analytical functions are used in scientific research to analyze and interpret data, identify trends and patterns, and make predictions or conclusions. They can also be used to test hypotheses and support or refute scientific theories.

4. Can analytical functions be used in real-world applications?

Yes, analytical functions have a wide range of real-world applications. They are used in fields such as economics, engineering, biology, and physics to analyze data and make predictions. They are also used in industries such as finance and marketing for data analysis and decision-making.

5. Are there any limitations to analytical functions?

Like any mathematical tool, analytical functions have their limitations. They may not be able to accurately model complex or nonlinear relationships in data, and their results may be affected by outliers or errors in the data. It is important to carefully consider the appropriateness of using analytical functions for a particular dataset or research question.