Ordered set proof review request

In summary, the homework statement is that you need someone to assess a proof, and the relevant equations and attempt at a solution are all in the attached file.
mafagafo
Homework Statement , relevant equations, and the attempt at a solution are all in the attached file.

I was reading through Invitation to Discrete Mathematics and attempted to solve an exercise that involved a proof. I've typeset everything in LaTeX and made a PDF out of it so that it does not clutter the post. The proof seems somewhat incomplete to me, almost as if I hadn't proofed what I had to. Therefore, I would like someone to assess it for me.

This is **not** homework.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• proof-about-ordered-sets.pdf
    89 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
It appears to me that you have showed that an ordered set cannot have cycles related to that order.
But the question was how to construct an ordering given a relation without any cycles which extends this relation.
To start with a given order leaves the question why there is one? And what has it to do with the given relation?

Edit: If you have produced latex lines anyway you could as well include them here. This makes reading and quoting a lot easier.

We can't start by saying 'take any ordering on X' because that presupposes that there exists an ordering on X.
Instead, what we want to do is to construct an ordering on X, starting with the relation.

I would suggest dividing X up into lower, middle and upper elements.

Lower elements would be those that never occur as a second element of a pair in R.
Upper elements would be those that are not Lower elements and never occur as a first element of a pair in R.
Middle elements would be those that occur as both first and second elements of pairs in R.

Then define a relation R' on X such that consists of
  • all pairs in R; and
  • all pairs in which the first element is Lower and the second is Middle or Upper; and
  • all pairs in which the first element is Middle and the second is Upper
Then define the relation R'' to be the transitive and reflexive closure of R'.

You should be able to prove R'' is a partial order on X using the acyclicality property, using the ideas in your existing proof.

If we want the order to be a total order, we can just extend R' to a non-strict total order by adding to it:
  1. all pairs formed by two elements from Lower
  2. all pairs formed by two elements from Upper
  3. all pairs formed by two elements from Middle such that the two elements do not occur in any existing pair, in either order.
This last bit makes all the items in 1 tied for order, all those in 2 tied for order and ditto for 3. So the order will be total because every pair of elements in X is in R'' at least once (and twice if they are tied).

Related to Ordered set proof review request

What is an ordered set proof review request?

An ordered set proof review request is a formal request for other scientists to review and critique a proof or mathematical argument involving ordered sets. This is a common practice in the scientific community to ensure the accuracy and validity of research findings.

Why is it important to request a proof review for an ordered set?

Requesting a proof review for an ordered set is important because it allows for potential errors or flaws in the argument to be identified and corrected. This helps to ensure the integrity and reliability of the research and its findings.

Who can request a proof review for an ordered set?

Anyone who has conducted research involving ordered sets can request a proof review. This includes scientists, researchers, and mathematicians who are familiar with the topic and have the expertise to provide valuable feedback.

How long does a proof review for an ordered set typically take?

The length of a proof review for an ordered set can vary depending on the complexity of the argument and the availability of reviewers. It is best to give reviewers a reasonable amount of time to thoroughly review and provide feedback, which can range from a few days to a few weeks.

What should be included in a proof review request for an ordered set?

A proof review request for an ordered set should include the proof or mathematical argument, any relevant definitions and assumptions, and a clear explanation of the goal or purpose of the research. It is also helpful to provide any specific areas or questions for reviewers to focus on.