How to Minimize the Sum of Squares of Three Numbers That Add Up to 12?

In summary, the question asks to find three positive numbers that sum up to 12 and have the smallest possible sum of squares. This can be solved by using the equation f(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 and the fact that x+y+z=12, which can be used to reduce the problem to 2D.
ScienceGeek24

Homework Statement

Find three positive numbers whose sum is 12 and the sum of whose squares is as small as possible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don;t even know how to start this one, this is a section from partial derivatives on the max and mins. Please i need guidance through this exercise. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ScienceGeek24! :smile:

Start by calling the three numbers x y and z, and putting f(x,y,z) = x2 + y2 + z2 :wink:

In addition to tiny-tim's good first idea, how about using the fact that you know that x+y+z=12, so you know what z is in terms of x and y - then you only have a 2D problem to solve.

Related to How to Minimize the Sum of Squares of Three Numbers That Add Up to 12?

What are the steps to solving this homework problem?

The steps to solving a homework problem will vary depending on the subject and specific problem. However, a general approach could include: understanding the problem, gathering necessary information, identifying relevant formulas or concepts, setting up and solving the problem, and checking your work for accuracy.

Where can I find additional resources to help me with this homework problem?

There are many resources available to help with homework problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. Your teacher or professor may also be able to provide additional resources or guidance.

How can I check if my answer to this homework problem is correct?

One way to check your answer is to use a different method or approach to solve the problem. You can also consult with classmates or your teacher to compare answers. Additionally, many textbooks include answer keys or solutions to selected problems.

What should I do if I am struggling with this homework problem?

If you are having trouble with a homework problem, don't be afraid to ask for help. You can reach out to classmates, your teacher or professor, or a tutor for assistance. It may also be helpful to review related material or seek additional resources to better understand the concepts involved.

How can I avoid making mistakes when solving this homework problem?

To avoid mistakes when solving a homework problem, it's important to carefully read and understand the problem, double check your work, and use tools such as a calculator or formula sheet when necessary. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.