How to find the volume of a square with function-based side?

In summary, the volume of the solid bounded by the curves y = x^2 and y = 2 - x^2 with cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis being squares is 64/15. This is calculated by finding the area function A(y) = (2 - 2x^2)^2 and integrating it over the interval [-1,1]. After correcting some math errors, the final integral yields the correct answer of 64/15.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"[Find the volume of a] solid whose base is the region bounded by the curves (y = x2) and y = 2 - x2 and whose cross sections through the solid perpendicular to the x-axis are squares."

Homework Equations

A(f(x)) = f(x)2
V = ∫(A(f(x))dx
Image of problem: http://i.imgur.com/6FtsBzO.png
Answer (from back of book): V = 64/15.

The Attempt at a Solution

y = (2 - x2) - (x2) = 2 - 2x2
A(y) = (2 - 2x2)2 = 4x4 - 4x2 + 4
V = ∫A(f(x)) = (4/5)x5 - (4/3)x3 + 4x on [-1,1]
[(4/5) - (4/3) + 4] = [(12 - 20 + 60)/(15)] - [(-12 + 20 - 60)/(15)] = (104/15) ≠ (64/15)

I think I'm doing this right, but I'm not getting the right numbers. Could someone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"[Find the volume of a] solid whose base is the region bounded by the curves (y = x2) and y = 2 - x2 and whose cross sections through the solid perpendicular to the x-axis are squares."

Homework Equations

A(f(x)) = f(x)2
V = ∫(A(f(x))dx
Image of problem: http://i.imgur.com/6FtsBzO.png
Answer (from back of book): V = 64/15.

The Attempt at a Solution

y = (2 - x2) - (x2) = 2 - 2x2
A(y) = (2 - 2x2)2 = 4x4 - 4x2 + 4
V = ∫A(f(x)) = (4/5)x5 - (4/3)x3 + 4x on [-1,1]
[(4/5) - (4/3) + 4] = [(12 - 20 + 60)/(15)] - [(-12 + 20 - 60)/(15)] = (104/15) ≠ (64/15)

I think I'm doing this right, but I'm not getting the right numbers. Could someone help me with this?

Check your setup math, (x^2-(2-x^2))^2 would be the region you want to look at.

You have two fours, I think you just made a math mistake. =)

You're right.

A(y) = (2 - 2x2)2 = 4x4 - 8x2 + 4
V = ∫A(f(x)) = (4/5)x5 - (8/3)x3 + 4x on [-1,1]
[(4/5) - (8/3) + (4)] - [(-4/5) + (8/3) - (4)] = 2(12 - 40 + 60)/(15) = 2(32/15) = 64/15

Thanks!

Likes Student100

Related to How to find the volume of a square with function-based side?

1. How do I find the volume of a square with a function-based side?

To find the volume of a square with a function-based side, you will need to first determine the length of the side of the square. You can then use the formula V = s^2, where V is the volume and s is the length of the side, to calculate the volume of the square.

2. Can I use any function to determine the side of the square?

Yes, you can use any function to determine the side of the square. The only requirement is that the function must output a numerical value that represents the length of the side.

3. What units should I use for the side of the square?

The units used for the side of the square will depend on the units used for the function that determines the side. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent when calculating the volume.

4. How do I know if my calculated volume is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. You can also use a calculator or mathematical software to verify your answer.

5. Can I find the volume of a square with a function-based side using calculus?

Yes, you can use calculus to find the volume of a square with a function-based side. By taking the derivative of the function and integrating it, you can determine the volume of the square. This method may be more complex, but it can handle more complicated functions.