How to Improve Physics/Math Understanding as an Undergraduate?

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore Physics and Math major with a high GPA, but they feel like they are not truly learning the material. They are worried about struggling in upper level courses and want to know if there is an efficient way to increase their understanding of the material outside of class. They also ask for recommendations on how to learn programming. The conversation includes suggestions to read proof books and practice programming, as well as reassurance that the speaker is doing well grade-wise. They also ask for advice on studying abroad and planning a difficult course load.
ADCooper
Hello, everyone! I'm a sophomore Physics and Math major from Temple University. Currently my GPA is 3.91 and I'm currently in Differential Equations, multivariable calculus, and Physics 2 (introductory E&M type of class basically). My problem is that, although I've been doing great grade-wise in all of my classes, I feel like I'm not truly learning the material. I can do all the computations and such without any problem really, but the proofs and underlying concepts seem to go right over my head. I feel like this is going to cause me a ton of trouble after this semester when I get to the upper level courses (advanced calculus, classical mechanics, etc) and I want to lessen that trouble if I can in some way. Is there any efficient way to increase my understanding of the material outside of class? I want to eventually land an REU and go to graduate school, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do either without really understanding everything I'm learning in these fundamental courses.

Also, as a little side question, does anyone recommend a certain way to learn to program? I've read that it's necessary to have at least a slight aptitude with it but my school only requires one course in programming for my major, and I feel like that won't be enough at all, so I plan to try and self-learn a bit over the summer.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're struggling with proofs, then you might want to read a decent proof book. For example, read Velleman's book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521446635/?tag=pfamazon01-20 or Eccles' book: www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~nige/IMRpartI.pdf

As for programming, there is only one way to get good at it. Pick your favorite programming language (Lisp, Python, Java, C++) and start programming. You might want to set yourself a goal of a program that you make and then make it. For example, you might want to make a program that simulates the motion and collisions of a few particles. The more you program, the better you'll be.

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
If you're struggling with proofs, then you might want to read a decent proof book. For example, read Velleman's book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521446635/?tag=pfamazon01-20 or Eccles' book: www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~nige/IMRpartI.pdf

As for programming, there is only one way to get good at it. Pick your favorite programming language (Lisp, Python, Java, C++) and start programming. You might want to set yourself a goal of a program that you make and then make it. For example, you might want to make a program that simulates the motion and collisions of a few particles. The more you program, the better you'll be.

Thank you! It's not so much that I'm struggling with proofs yet, since I haven't even had a class that requires them yet outside of the little bit of the precise definition of a limit that I did in Calculus 1 with Epsilons/Deltas which was easy, but I have to jump straight from no proofs to advanced calculus in the fall for next year, and I'm just worried that if I don't completely understand everything I'm learning now then it will be a semester from hell. I will definitely look into that book.

I already have Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds, Hardy's A Course of Pure Mathematics, Buck's Advanced Calculus 3E, and Apostol's Mathematical Analysis, but I haven't looked at them yet. Are they up to par with that Velleman's book?

Last edited by a moderator:
ADCooper said:
I already have Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds, Hardy's A Course of Pure Mathematics, Buck's Advanced Calculus 3E, and Apostol's Mathematical Analysis, but I haven't looked at them yet. Are they up to par with that Velleman's book?

Try to read those books. If you can read them without problem, then you have no real problem with proofs. (it are quite difficult books)

Alrighty, will definitely do. Thanks again! Any idea on Physics books that I can look into to help my understanding of basic concepts (mechanics, E&M, etc)?

Hey I'm in the exactly the same situation that you are(I'm taking the same classes). Honestly the math part of physics 2 is easy. The hard part is setting up the problem. I know it's very tempting to look at the solutions when solving problems, try to avoid that as much as possible. Do the challenge problems in your textbook without any help at all. If you want I can give you the homework my professor assigns us; if you can solve those without help, then you understand it enough.

You got to let your intuition do some work. When your're solving some of these problems you might not have any clue where to start, but all of a sudden this moment of realization comes and it feels good. Doing 100's of simple math calculations won't teach you that.

Last edited:
You're doing great grade wise so stop worrying! You're "learning the material"! To want to "truly learn the material" is probably evidence of "existential anxiety" rather than of anything "going over your head". You obviously understand the material "well enough". If you are on the Quixotic quest for "fundamental meaning" change to philosophy...

mal4mac said:
You're doing great grade wise so stop worrying! You're "learning the material"! To want to "truly learn the material" is probably evidence of "existential anxiety" rather than of anything "going over your head". You obviously understand the material "well enough". If you are on the Quixotic quest for "fundamental meaning" change to philosophy...

I appreciate the kind words, but I'm just afraid that my grades are only because my classes haven't been rigorous enough. Hope you're right though!

Another quick question: Currently, I really want to study abroad, so I'm planning on applying for the Mathematics in Budapest program for the Fall of my senior year; however, if I do this, I'd need to really take a difficult semester on the Fall beforehand so I can accomplish enough to graduate during my senior spring. Is that an awful idea? If I do it as I'm planning to, my course load will look like:

Advanced Calculus I
Analytical Mechanics
Electricity and Magnetism I
Computing for Scientists
Thermodynamics and Kinetic Theory

Basically I'm asking is this a manageable course load?

ADCooper said:
I appreciate the kind words, but I'm just afraid that my grades are only because my classes haven't been rigorous enough. Hope you're right though!

Another quick question: Currently, I really want to study abroad, so I'm planning on applying for the Mathematics in Budapest program for the Fall of my senior year; however, if I do this, I'd need to really take a difficult semester on the Fall beforehand so I can accomplish enough to graduate during my senior spring. Is that an awful idea? If I do it as I'm planning to, my course load will look like:

Advanced Calculus I
Analytical Mechanics
Electricity and Magnetism I
Computing for Scientists
Thermodynamics and Kinetic Theory

Basically I'm asking is this a manageable course load?

I was asking a similar question to yours a few months ago, if you take a look at my thread history. The thing I noticed, even though I still don't truly understand everything is that at the introductory level, you are not expected to know every derivation, every proof and the concepts at a fundamental level. They're more geared towards getting you familiar with them and getting you used to doing computations with them (hence one can pull off an A without having "truly" learned the material). Once you go on to more advanced courses, they will use the concepts in the introductory courses frequently and at a more fundamental level and if you put enough time trying to understand/studying those harder courses, the simpler concepts will also start making a lot more intuitive sense. In general, once you've worked with something for a long enough time, even if you didn't fully understand it when you first learned it, you will start seeing the "why's".

As for that courseload, it seems manageable but it also depends on you. If you're willing to spend the majority of your time studying/doing homework, then you should be fine with the courseload.

Related to How to Improve Physics/Math Understanding as an Undergraduate?

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Physics/Math as an undergraduate?

One of the best ways to improve your problem-solving skills in Physics/Math is to practice regularly. This includes completing assigned homework problems, as well as working on additional practice problems on your own. Additionally, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind each problem, rather than just memorizing formulas. Seeking help from professors or tutoring services can also be beneficial.

2. What resources can I use to improve my understanding of Physics/Math concepts?

There are many resources available to help you improve your understanding of Physics/Math concepts. Your university's library likely has textbooks and study guides that you can use. Online resources such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and YouTube tutorials can also be helpful. Additionally, attending extra review sessions or study groups led by your professors or peers can provide further clarification and practice.

3. How can I become more efficient at studying Physics/Math?

To become more efficient at studying Physics/Math, it is important to create a study schedule and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you are consistently reviewing and practicing the material. It can also be helpful to break up studying into smaller chunks, rather than trying to cram everything in at once. Additionally, finding a study method that works best for you, whether it be solo studying or group studying, can also improve efficiency.

4. How can I improve my test-taking skills in Physics/Math?

One way to improve your test-taking skills in Physics/Math is to practice taking exams under timed conditions. This will help you become more comfortable with the format and pacing of exams. Additionally, make sure you thoroughly understand the material before the exam and review any areas you are unsure of. On the day of the exam, read through all instructions carefully and manage your time wisely.

5. What should I do if I am struggling in my Physics/Math courses as an undergraduate?

If you are struggling in your Physics/Math courses as an undergraduate, do not be afraid to seek help. Your professors and teaching assistants are there to help you understand the material. You can also consider seeking tutoring or joining a study group. Additionally, make sure you are putting in enough time and effort to study and practice. If necessary, consider meeting with an academic advisor to discuss any potential study strategies or course adjustments.