How to Handle Anxiety for First-Time Job Interviews?

In summary, tomorrow are my interviews for work. I got about 6 interviews in a row, and its my first time being interviewed, so its pretty scarry. I haven't studied anything for it, so i hope their technic questions won't be too hard. I am terrible in remembering stuff, i only remember base principles and build it all from scratch (which i can't when I am interviewed...) but i am hoping for the best. Well, not that it interests anyone too much... i just had to post it because I am nervous. Good luck, wishing you the best. I don't know you. They will ask you about work experience. That will be their number one concern. I was at work and they interviewed on guy
fargoth
tomorrow are my interviews for work.
i got about 6 interviews in a row, and its my first time being interviewed, so its pretty scarry...
i haven't studied anything for it, so i hope their technic questions won't be too hard... I am terrible in remembering stuff, i only remember base principles and build it all from scratch (which i can't when I am interviewed...)

well, not that it interests anyone too much... i just had to post it because I am nervous :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck, wishing you.

I don't know you.

They will ask you about work experience. That will be their number one concern. I was at work and they interviewed on guy. He was like yeah, I just finished a masters. I did some TA-ing. They didn't need to hire a teacher, and he had no real work experience, so they did not want to hire him in that group. Hopefully he got lucky at a different group. Do you have any experience, if so MENTION IT! Oh yeah, and when you go to your interview, READ UP ABOUT THE COMPANY! and be sure to ask questions and discuss what they are currently working on, otherwise u show no real interest in the company, and they won't bother to hire you. Plus, good luck!

Last edited:
Good luck with your interviews.

I agree with what Cyrus mentioned, particularly about knowing about the company. See if you can find a website for each company.

Also, not only knowing about the company, but have some knowledge about the industry.

Good luck! :cool:

thanks, i don't have any real experience, i just tought some people here and there as a private teacher and had a class for learning C... i told them that, but i don't think it matters to them...

anyway, i think some of my interviews went well, i explained about an experiment i did lately, and some of them wanted me to explain how things work, (e.g. LCD, rainbows, bat's sonar try and build a fax machine (a primitive model of it))

there were 10 interviews, and they took a whole day, i had such a headach in the end of it all, i just ate and went to bed...

anyway, i really just wanted to say thanks for wishing me luck, but i got carried away :biggrin:

Mk said:
I don't know you.

then, pleased to meet you, my (screen) name is fargoth, how do you do? :biggrin:

Related to How to Handle Anxiety for First-Time Job Interviews?

1. What should I wear to my first job interview?

It is important to dress professionally for a job interview. This means wearing a suit or business attire that is clean and well-fitted. Avoid wearing anything too revealing or casual, as it may give off the wrong impression to the interviewer. It is always better to be overdressed than underdressed.

2. How should I prepare for my first job interview?

Research the company and position you are interviewing for. Practice common interview questions and have examples prepared to showcase your skills and experience. Also, make sure to bring copies of your resume and any other requested materials.

3. What questions should I ask during my first job interview?

It is important to ask questions during a job interview to show your interest and engagement in the position. Some good questions to ask include inquiring about the company culture, asking about the responsibilities of the job, and discussing potential growth opportunities within the company.

4. How can I calm my nerves before my first job interview?

Take some time to practice deep breathing and positive self-talk. Remind yourself of your qualifications and why you are a good fit for the job. Also, make sure to get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast to help you feel more relaxed and focused.

5. How soon should I follow up after my first job interview?

It is appropriate to send a thank-you email or note within 24 hours of the interview. This shows your gratitude for the opportunity and keeps you fresh in the interviewer's mind. If you haven't heard back within a week, it is okay to follow up with a polite email or phone call to inquire about the status of your application.