Top Interview Tips for Nailing Your Next Job - Expert Advice and Strategies"

In summary, In my experience, when an employer schedules an interview they REALLY want to hire you. I have heard my supervisors and others feel upset when they extend job offers and it is not taken or when the interview doesn't work out. So realize the people interviewing you want you to do well.
Mark Harder said:
I won't write a book chapter this time ;-) . But yes, if you don't have the sort of contacts your friends have, you need to network. If you do have contacts like them, you might try practicing on the contacts (with their permission of course).
Thank you. I'm starting to think that one of the main reasons I have been having trouble even getting asked to job interviews is that I went with Mechanical Engineering. To me it seems, in my area at least, that Electrical/Computer Engineers and Computer Scientists are all that are in demand :(. I was wondering if maybe someone who is actually in the industry could give some thoughts on that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would advise you to be proactive: learn as much as you can about your potential employer. Answering the questions you may quote the info you have learned and this will surely be a plus. Read lots of books in your professional sphere and quote them as well. This could make the conversation more relaxed.
Besides, read the articles about the job interviews - they are countless! There you will find a lot about the commonly asked questions, tricky questions, proper answers and numerous 'DOs' and 'DONTs'. This will make you feel more confident and prepared.

To these answers (the ones I've read, anyway) I would add the following: Definitely ask questions about the place, the position you're interviewing for, the structure of that department, esp. to whom you will reporting (your immediate supervisor). If you know the project(s) on which you will contribute, etc. I'd save some pay and benefits questions 'till a second interview, unless you haven't a clue about them. I don't think it looks good if you leave an interview without knowing that all important fact. If you have any special requirements that may apply to you, my best guess is that you save them 'till the 2nd interview. Second interviews are pretty much the norm these days. If they fly you to your first interview, that indicates they have enough interest in your hire to go to that expense. However, I wouldn't assume that you are the only candidate being considered.

I'm sure they expect that you are nervous, but don't fidget, spin your pen in your fingers, etc. That might mean that your mind is wandering. I realized halfway through an interview that I was doing that. I stopped, but I'm pretty sure it was noticed. I didn't get the job. I've never been asked one of those trick questions that probe your values and psychology, so I'm really not sure how to respond to one. I've heard that one kind is the "what would you do if you caught your mother, best friend, boss, etc. cheating the company?" I'll hazard a guess and say that you might respond that loyalty is a strong value of yours, that reporting the person would be a very difficult decision to make because it pits one set of loyalties against another. Otherwise, it's probably expected that you will choose the company's interest first.

In your personal life, if one person rejects you it might not be your fault; they might have a problem. In the case of a company, they may simply have gone with another candidate who seems to better meet their needs. But, as in life, if many interviews go down in flames, perhaps it is about you. Reading the books may not be enough. Seek out professional opinions or classes and such.

And high up on the list: Be articulate.

You are not in school any more. The answer they're looking for is commitment and capability. This is not some word problem. This is an interview to see how well you will play with others in the organization. Believe it or not, technical knowledge is secondary. You are expected to learn on the job. You are expected to adapt. You are expected to convey what is going on with others.

Project those values, and you'll do fine.

Likes jedishrfu
JakeBrodskyPE said:
You are not in school any more. The answer they're looking for is commitment and capability. This is not some word problem. This is an interview to see how well you will play with others in the organization. Believe it or not, technical knowledge is secondary. You are expected to learn on the job. You are expected to adapt. You are expected to convey what is going on with others.

Project those values, and you'll do fine.

So true, great answer.

I remember it said that a job is 15% skill and 85% percent working well with others no matter how difficult they are to work with.

I don't how the OP did as he/she posted in March 2015.

Likes MathewsMD