How to get a grounding in physics?

In summary, the individual is 20 years old and has a strong interest in physics, but dropped out of studying due to mental illness. They now have a lot of time on their hands and are considering studying physics again on their own. They are looking for a broad overview of physics that can be completed in a short amount of time (3-12 months) and are seeking advice on resources for learning math and physics.
Nichiren-123
I'm currently 20 yrs old. I've always liked physics and was doing A levels in all 3 sciences + maths before I dropped out because of severe mental illness. I'm now at a point in my life where I'm not under obligation to go back to study or work straight away and I have ALLOT of time on my hands.
When I was in hospital I considered other career options (computing, forestry, environmental studies) but I still often think about studying physics again.
What I want to do is to study physics on my own (but not to the depth of a full time course), including the stuff they don't teach at A level.
I want to do this to get a high level general overview of the whole of physics to know if it's something that would continue to hold my interest into the future.
So basically, what I'm after is something (I.e. a book) broad, but not too deep which I can complete in a short amount of time (maybe 3 - 12 months)?
Hope that's not too specific :D

Thanks,
N-123

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello N-123,

good to read that you are wiling to spend some time in physics, you won't regret it. You do need some maths too however. With math you need algebra, and eventually have to do calculus. There are some very good videos online for that, I don't know if I can post links, but you could youtube.com professor leonard. I used Adams - calculus for the math part.

Also you could use Physics for Scientists & Engineers with Modern Physics - Giancoli, it covers everything in physics, but it is hard to learn from if you have zero knowledge about physics.

Hope it helps a little bit.

Good luck, and if you have any questions just ask them! Glad to help you out!Neutron1

Related to How to get a grounding in physics?

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world.

Why is it important to have a grounding in physics?

Having a grounding in physics allows us to understand the world around us and make sense of the physical phenomena we observe. It also provides the foundation for many other scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and engineering.

What are some basic concepts in physics?

Some basic concepts in physics include force, motion, energy, and matter. Other important concepts include gravity, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

How can I get a grounding in physics?

There are many ways to get a grounding in physics, including taking courses in high school or college, reading textbooks and other educational materials, and conducting experiments and hands-on activities. It is also important to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

What are some career options for someone with a grounding in physics?

A grounding in physics can lead to a variety of career options, including research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology. It can also lead to careers in education, healthcare, and government agencies.