How to Fix File System Error 1026 and Delete Files from a Pendrive?

• Thread starter umasankar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, there could be several reasons for not being able to delete files from a pendrive, such as the file being in use, the pendrive being write-protected, or a corrupted file system. To check if the pendrive is write-protected, look for a physical lock switch or check the properties on your computer. If the file is in use, try closing the program or ending its process in the task manager. To fix a corrupted file system, you can use a disk repair tool or format the pendrive, but be aware that this will erase all data. If all else fails, you can try using a different computer or a command prompt, or use a file shredder program to permanently delete the file.
umasankar
I cannot delete files from my pendrive.The computer's message is
cannot delete file: File system error[1026].
How can I delete such files from the pendrive?Can anyone help me?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Got the clue.I finally deleted the concerned files.It is simple.Run the scan disk.It will ask you to convert these problematic folders into files.New files are formed with extension chk.Then all the files vanish once we delete them.Thanks for your suggestion.

Related to How to Fix File System Error 1026 and Delete Files from a Pendrive?

1. Why can't I delete files from my pendrive?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to the file being in use by a program or process, the pendrive being write-protected, or the file system being corrupted.

2. How can I check if my pendrive is write-protected?

You can check by looking for a physical lock switch on the pendrive. If there is one, make sure it is in the unlocked position. If not, you can also check the properties of the pendrive on your computer to see if it is write-protected.

3. What should I do if the file is in use by a program?

You can try closing the program and then deleting the file again. If that doesn't work, you may need to end the program's process in the task manager before attempting to delete the file.

4. How can I fix a corrupted file system on my pendrive?

You can try using a disk repair tool or formatting the pendrive. However, keep in mind that formatting will erase all data on the pendrive, so make sure to back up any important files before proceeding.

5. Is there any other way to delete the file from my pendrive?

If all else fails, you can try using a different computer or a command prompt to delete the file. You can also try using a file shredder program, which can permanently delete the file from the pendrive.