Help Ubuntu 20.04: File got corrupted when moving to external HDD

In summary, the user wanted to move a file from their laptop to an external HDD, but found that the file was corrupt after the move operation completed.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I wanted to move one file from my laptop to an external HDD. Using the file manager, I started the move operation; and after it completed successfully, I unmounted the HDD. When I plugged the HDD to our Windows 7 desktop, I found that the file was corrupt! The 8 GB .mp4 file had reduced to 372 MB, and could no longer be played by VLC.

The file was very important — it was a screen recording that I was supposed to share with my classmates. I am tearing off my hairs for doing a move operation instead of copying, but I really need some help now. I tried testdisk on Ubuntu, but it showed a deleted file of 10 MB size. Anything else I can do?

P.S.: I dislike putting any sense of urgency in the thread title/body, but this time I had to make an exception.

Computer science news on Phys.org
  1. Shut down the system.
  2. Reboot from a live boot Ubuntu USB stick (if you don't have one, prepare one from the Windows desktop).
  3. Install and run extundelete.

pbuk said:
  1. Shut down the system.
  2. Reboot from a live boot Ubuntu USB stick (if you don't have one, prepare one from the Windows desktop).
  3. Install and run extundelete.
That won't be possible, I am afraid. The 16 GB pen drive is not with me at the moment. I only have a 4 GB pen drive.

Wrichik Basu said:
That won't be possible, I am afraid. The 16 GB pen drive is not with me at the moment. I only have a 4 GB pen drive.
Can't you leave it shut down until you do have the 16GB pen drive?

4GB is enough for Ubuntu.

Okay, I found an 8 GB pen drive. I have already shutdown the laptop. What steps do I need to follow after installing extundelete? It won't harm existing data, right?

Just wanted to post an update that after all, I don't have to take all the trouble. One of my friends too recorded the class, so this time, he will share the recording. Phew!

Likes Keith_McClary and pbuk

1. What could have caused my file to become corrupted when moving to an external HDD on Ubuntu 20.04?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. It could be due to a problem with the external HDD itself, such as a hardware malfunction. It could also be caused by a software issue, such as a bug in the Ubuntu 20.04 operating system or a corrupted file system on the HDD.

2. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

To prevent file corruption when moving to an external HDD on Ubuntu 20.04, it is important to make sure that both the HDD and the operating system are functioning properly. You can run diagnostic tests on the HDD to check for any hardware issues, and regularly update your Ubuntu 20.04 system to ensure that any known bugs are fixed.

3. Is there a way to recover my corrupted file?

In some cases, it may be possible to recover a corrupted file on an external HDD on Ubuntu 20.04. You can try using data recovery software or seeking help from a professional data recovery service. However, there is no guarantee that the file can be recovered, so it is important to regularly back up important files to prevent data loss.

4. Can I still use the external HDD even though it caused my file to become corrupted?

In most cases, yes, you can still use the external HDD even if it caused a file to become corrupted. However, it is important to address the root cause of the issue to prevent future file corruption. You may need to format the HDD or replace it if it is malfunctioning.

5. Are there any precautions I can take when moving files to an external HDD on Ubuntu 20.04?

To minimize the risk of file corruption, it is recommended to safely eject the external HDD before disconnecting it from your computer. You can also try moving smaller batches of files at a time, rather than a large amount all at once. Additionally, make sure to properly shut down your computer before disconnecting the external HDD.