How to find the surface area of a spherical triangle?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find the surface area of a spherical triangle with given measurements. The formula used is (ABC) = (A + B + C - pi) r2, and the correct answer is 1.2254. The mention of Gauss's work on Spherical Trig and Girard's Theorem is also brought up as potential resources for solving the problem.
prinsinn
Hello

I have a spherical triangle with the radius 1, and I have tried so hard to find the surface area. I know that A=120°, b=90° and c=60°.

I could calculate that B=73.89° and C=56.31° and a=115.66°.

I think I should use the formula
(ABC) = (A + B + C - pi) r2

I always get the wrong answer but the correct one is 1.2254.

Can someone please tell me what to do, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go on Wikipedia and Look up some of Gausses work on Spherical Trig, it should have an analogous result to Euclidean Planes area of a triangle (half a b sine c).

Girard's Theorem states that the sum of the angles of a triangle drawn on a sphere is not 180 degrees but the sum differs from 180 degrees by the area of the triangle divided by the radius squared.

hello prinsinn! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)
prinsinn said:
I know that A=120°, b=90° and c=60°.

I could calculate that B=73.89° and C=56.31° and a=115.66°.

I think I should use the formula
(ABC) = (A + B + C - pi) r2

I always get the wrong answer but the correct one is 1.2254.

well, your formula is correct, and using your A B and C i do get 1.2254 :confused:

Did you remember to convert the angles to radians?

Related to How to find the surface area of a spherical triangle?

1. How do you define a spherical triangle?

A spherical triangle is a figure on the surface of a sphere that is formed by three arcs of great circles, which are the largest circles that can be drawn on a sphere.

2. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a spherical triangle?

The formula for finding the surface area of a spherical triangle is A = r²(α + β + γ - π), where r is the radius of the sphere and α, β, and γ are the angles of the triangle in radians.

3. How do you convert degrees to radians?

To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula radians = (π/180) * degrees. For example, to convert 60 degrees to radians, you would multiply 60 by (π/180) to get 1.047 radians.

4. Can the surface area of a spherical triangle be negative?

No, the surface area of a spherical triangle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the actual surface area of the triangle on the sphere.

5. How is the surface area of a spherical triangle used in real life?

The concept of a spherical triangle and its surface area is used in various fields such as astronomy, navigation, and cartography. For example, it is used to calculate distances between points on a spherical object, such as the Earth, and in creating maps of the globe.