Spherical shape surface area calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of finding the surface area of an irregular shape using the equation for the surface area of a sphere. The poster has attempted to solve the problem and is seeking help in finding an equation for the area outside the sphere limited by the curve P. The equation must involve the parameters r, S, d, and R.
gaber2611

Homework Statement

upload_2014-10-12_13-3-58.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
Surface area of sphere = 4*Pi*r^2, where r: is the radius of the sphere circle

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution:[/B]

1. In terms of “r” and “R”, and the radius of sphere “S”, and “d”:

Given that:

· Surface area of both shaded area are equal: That means,

The area bounded by P, A (outside Q) = the area bounded by N&M, A (N&M), while,

The area bounded by P = the area outside Q, A (outside Q), then

A (outside Q) = A (N&M)

And for the surface area bounded by N&P “A (N&P) “

A (N&P) = the whole area of the sphere S “A (S) “–[A (outside Q) + A (inside Q) + A (N&M)],

And for, A (N&M) = A (outside Q), then,

A (N&P) = A (S) – [2*A (outside Q) + A (inside Q)]

Knowing that the surface area formula of sphere “A sphere” = 4*Pi*r^2

Where Pi = 3.143, and r: the radius of the sphere circle

· given that the radius of the sphere is “S”, then,

ØA (S) = 4*Pi*S^2

· given that the radius of the sphere Q is “r”, then

ØA (inside Q) = 4*Pi*r^2.

A (outside Q) =

Dear Sirs here,

As you see its a problem of getting the surface area of irregular shape which you had seen in the previous image,

Expecting that you took a look at my attempt solving the problem, and understood how i prepared the equation to get the bounded surface area between curves N&M, having those small red curves with the available given data,

what i need the help for, is that the area outside the sphere Q which is limited by the curve P, " i used symbol for it of A (outside Q)" and those red small curves, is how i get the equation which calculates that area win terms of "r", "S", "d" and "R"?, or any of these parameters, and then later i optimize the equation to be in terms of those parameters

Looking forward to hear from you, and will appreciate your help, i have been using physics forums for many years ago, and putting a big hope in here to get the help

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Spherical shape surface area calculation

1. How do you calculate the surface area of a spherical shape?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a sphere is 4πr², where r is the radius of the sphere.

2. Can the surface area of a spherical shape be calculated without knowing the radius?

No, the radius is a necessary component in the formula for calculating the surface area of a sphere.

3. What units are typically used for measuring the surface area of a spherical shape?

The surface area of a sphere is typically measured in square units, such as square inches or square meters.

4. Are there any alternative methods for calculating the surface area of a spherical shape?

Yes, there are multiple methods for approximating the surface area of a sphere, such as using the Archimedes method or the Monte Carlo method.

5. Can the surface area of a spherical shape be calculated if the shape is not a perfect sphere?

Yes, the surface area can still be approximated using the same formula even if the shape is not a perfect sphere, as long as the radius is known.