How to find functions & inputs whose output is a specific number

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a pair function+input(s) whose output is a given number, with the constraint that the input(s) should be relatively small in size. This problem arises in data compression, where the goal is to replace a large substring of bits with a smaller function+input(s). The question asks for suggestions on how to approach this problem, with the motivation being a function that results in a unique output. One idea suggested is to express the number as sums or differences of large powers of prime numbers. However, the problem remains of finding the function+input(s) that can generate a given bit string with a smaller number of bits.
DaviFN
I'm interested in the following problem: given a random number n (n can be gigantic), how do we find a pair function+input(s) whose output is n such that the input(s) are relatively small in size?

This problems arises in data compression; consider the bits that make up a file (or a substring of bits of the file) and treat it as a number (i.e. the bits are the binary representation of this number). If we could write a pair function+input(s) whose output happens to be the substring, this whole substring can be replaced by the function+input(s).

I've thought of expressing the number as sums (or differences) of relative big powers of prime numbers. Is this a good approach? And, if not, what would be a good one? And how to proceed?

Motivation of the question: A simples function like raising the nth prime number to a power S can result (depending on the values of p and S) on various outputs, each of which is unique (given that any number has only one prime factorization). If we pick p = 17 and S = 89435, for example, that's computationally trivial to compute (takes logarithmic time), and will result in a somewhat gigantic number. We can then generate a file whose bits are the same of the binary representation of this number (or at least some of the bits are). (This is just a rough example). The problem is going the other way: Given a bit string (hence, a number), how to express this specific bitstring with less bits (very few, actually) through a function that results in the number.

Any ideas/answers/comments are welcome!

This question is cross-posted https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/3275106/how-to-find-functions-inputs-whose-output-is-a-specific-number.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "gigantic". How about, given a number, y, take x to be y- 10000000 and f(x)= x+ 10000000? There are, of course, infinitely many such numbers and functions.

1. How do I find a function that outputs a specific number?

To find a function that outputs a specific number, you can start by identifying the desired output and working backwards to determine the necessary inputs. You can also use algebraic equations and substitution to find a function that satisfies the given output.

2. Is there a specific method or formula for finding functions with a specific output?

There is no one specific method or formula for finding functions with a specific output. However, there are various mathematical techniques such as algebra, calculus, and graphing that can be used to determine a function's output for a given input.

3. Can I use a graph to find functions with a specific output?

Yes, you can use a graph to find functions with a specific output. Graphs can help you visualize the relationship between inputs and outputs and can assist in identifying patterns and trends that can lead to finding a function with a specific output.

4. How can I check if a function outputs a specific number?

You can check if a function outputs a specific number by plugging in the given input into the function and evaluating the output. If the output matches the desired number, then the function satisfies the given condition.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can help me find functions with a specific output?

Yes, there are various online resources and tools that can help you find functions with a specific output. Some examples include graphing calculators, math equation solvers, and online forums where you can ask for assistance from other mathematicians and scientists.