Minimizing systems of boolean functions as per specific gate costs

In summary, a forum member is seeking help with a problem involving minimizing the number of products in a boolean equation system. They have found software that can do this, but it does not include XOR gates and has a questionable license. The forum member is looking for a way to generalize existing algorithms or find a program that can solve the problem. Other forum members have not been able to provide a solution or have not responded. The poster also mentions a tool called KGPMIN, but is unable to find a way to download it.
ellipsis
I've been grappling with this problem for a long time, but I think someone on this forum may know about this.

Minimizing the joint number of products of a system of boolean equations is well-studied, and has various software implementations. Those are the Quine-McCluskey and Espresso algorithms. This is the problem of creating a circuit with N inputs, M outputs, while using the minimum number of OR, NOR, AND, and NOT gates. (Or, alternatively, their functional counterparts with an arbitrary number of temporary variables). I use the program "Logic Friday" to do this.

My problem is similar, but it includes a different set of gates (OR, AND, NOT, XOR), and un-equal costs associated with each gate - specifically, the cost of an OR is zero, while the cost of AND, NOT, and XOR, are equal.

What I want is to be able to define a truth table, and get returned a circuit diagram with the minimum number of ANDs, NOT,s and XORs, with any number of ORs.

No boolean minimizer software I've found ever generates a circuit or equation with XOR in it. Does anyone know of a program that can solve this problem, or a way to generalize the existing algorithms to match my problem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make much progress on the problem. Maybe nobody's been posting because I described the problem in terms of electrical engineering, rather than algebra theory.

jedishrfu said:
What about this tool?

http://www.logicminimizer.com/

In its writeup it says it includes XOR gates.

Unfortunately, it does not do joint optimization - it can only handle one boolean function (output) at a time. Not to mention it's disreputable license. Thanks anyway, jedish.

Last edited:
ellipsis said:
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make much progress on the problem. Maybe nobody's been posting because I described the problem in terms of electrical engineering, rather than algebra theory.
It is clear what you mean in terms of mathematics, that is not an issue.
I watch the thread because I think the question is interesting, but I don't have an answer.

1. What is the purpose of minimizing systems of boolean functions?

The purpose of minimizing systems of boolean functions is to simplify complex logical expressions and reduce the overall cost and complexity of digital circuits. This allows for more efficient and faster processing of logical operations.

2. How do you determine the gate costs for a system of boolean functions?

The gate costs for a system of boolean functions are determined by the number and type of logic gates required to implement the functions. These can include AND, OR, and NOT gates, as well as more complex gates like NAND and NOR.

3. What is the benefit of minimizing systems of boolean functions?

The main benefit of minimizing systems of boolean functions is to reduce the number of logic gates needed, which in turn reduces the cost, power consumption, and complexity of digital circuits. This can also improve the overall performance and speed of the system.

4. What are some common methods for minimizing systems of boolean functions?

Some common methods for minimizing systems of boolean functions include Karnaugh maps, Quine-McCluskey method, and Boolean algebra. These methods use different techniques to identify and eliminate redundant terms and simplify the logical expressions.

5. Are there any limitations to minimizing systems of boolean functions?

Yes, there are some limitations to minimizing systems of boolean functions. These methods may not always result in the most optimized solution, as they may only consider one aspect of the circuit (e.g. gate cost) and not take into account other factors like propagation delay or fan-out. Additionally, some functions may not be able to be minimized without losing their functionality.