How to find equipotential surface for given case?

In summary, the equipotential surface due to a uniform grid of long equally spaced parallel charged wires in a plane changes periodically due to the periodic changes in the wire distribution. At far off distances, the equipotential surface becomes parallel to the plane, resulting in a potential equivalent to that of a uniformly charged plane.
Dexter Neutron
Q:- Describe equipotential surface due to a uniform grid consisting of long equally spaced parallel charged wires in a plane.
The answer given in my textbook is - Equipotential surface have shape which changes periodically. At far off distances it becomes parallel to the plane.

Why the equipotential surface changes periodically here?Please Explain.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can answer the second question. At far off distances the grid should look like a uniformly charged plane. This results in the potential being equivalent to that of a uniformly charged plane.

Dexter Neutron said:
Why the equipotential surface changes periodically here?

Because the charge distribution changes periodical (wire - no wire - wire - no wire - ...).

Related to How to find equipotential surface for given case?

1. How do I determine the potential difference in a given case?

To determine the potential difference, you need to know the electric field at each point in the given case. Once you have the electric field, you can integrate it along a path from one point to another to calculate the potential difference.

2. What is an equipotential surface?

An equipotential surface is a surface in which all points have the same potential value. This means that no work is required to move a charge from one point to another on the surface.

3. How can I find the electric field on an equipotential surface?

To find the electric field at a point on an equipotential surface, you can use the gradient of the potential function. The electric field will always be perpendicular to the equipotential surface.

4. Can equipotential surfaces intersect?

No, equipotential surfaces cannot intersect because this would mean that two points on the surface have the same potential value, which is not possible.

5. How do I draw an equipotential surface for a given case?

To draw an equipotential surface, you can use the values of the potential function at different points to plot the surface. You can also use the electric field lines, which are always perpendicular to the equipotential surface, to help visualize the shape of the surface.