Equipotential surfaces for the given charge distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential at any point (x, y, z) using the origin as a reference in the presence of two infinitely long wires with uniform charge densities. The potential is given by V(x,y,z) = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} ln \left[ \frac{(y-a)^{2}+z^{2}}{(y+a)^{2}+z^{2}} \right]. The person also explores the idea of finding the equipotential surfaces using partial derivatives, but realizes that this method may not be valid. They provide a mathematical explanation for their reasoning.
mjordan2nd

Homework Statement

Two infinitely long wires running parallel to the x-axis carry uniform charge densities [tex] \lambda [/tex] and [tex] - \lambda[/tex].

a.) Find the potential at any point (x, y, z) using the origin as your reference.

b.) Show the equipotential surfaces are circular cylinders, and locate the axis and radius of the cylinder corresponding to a given potential V_0.

Homework Equations

In part a I oriented my axes such that both wires lay in the x-y plane a distance, a, away from the x-axis. I found the potential to be

[tex] V(x,y,z) = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} ln \left[ \frac{(y-a)^{2}+z^{2}}{(y+a)^{2}+z^{2}} \right][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I can find the equipotential surfaces by simply allowing the argument of the logarithm to be constant. I was wondering, however, if I could find the answer using partial derivatives as well. I feel that I should be able to find the equipotential surfaces to this potential by allowing the partial derivative with respect to y go to 0, and the partial derivative with respect to z go to 0. When both partials are 0, shouldn't I find an equipotential surface? I worked out the math, and my answer is inconsistent, so I believe that this method is incorrect, but I can't quite figure out why. If someone could point out the error in my logic, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
well that's just bad mathematics

think of a 2d circle with radius r

[tex] r = \sqrt{x^2 +y^2}[/tex]

now from analysis we know that

[tex] dr = \frac {\partial r}{\partial x} dx + \frac {\partial r}{\partial y} dy [/tex]

since you want r to be constant this reduces to

[tex] -\frac {\partial r}{\partial x} dx = \frac {\partial r}{\partial y} dy [/tex] *

from this you can see that by eliminating one of the partials you reduce the other variable to a constant or you have something very weird i.e. [tex] 0 \times dx = 0 \times dy[/tex]. So the only sensible way to get 0's into * is to have x and y constants but then that's not a circle anymore its a triangle

Related to Equipotential surfaces for the given charge distribution

1. What are equipotential surfaces?

Equipotential surfaces are imaginary surfaces in space where the potential remains constant. This means that any two points on an equipotential surface will have the same potential value. In other words, no work is required to move a charge from one point to another on an equipotential surface.

2. How are equipotential surfaces related to electric fields?

Equipotential surfaces are always perpendicular to electric field lines. This means that the electric field at any point on an equipotential surface will be tangent to the surface. Additionally, the closer the equipotential surfaces are to each other, the stronger the electric field is in that region.

3. How are equipotential surfaces calculated for a given charge distribution?

Equipotential surfaces are calculated by using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. By solving for r, we can determine the distance from the charge at which the potential is constant and plot these points to create equipotential surfaces.

4. What is the purpose of using equipotential surfaces?

Equipotential surfaces are useful in visualizing and understanding the behavior of electric fields. They help us understand the concept of potential and how it relates to electric fields. They also allow us to easily calculate the work done on a charge as it moves between two points on an equipotential surface.

5. Can equipotential surfaces intersect each other?

No, equipotential surfaces cannot intersect each other. This is because at the point of intersection, two different potentials would exist, which goes against the definition of an equipotential surface where the potential is constant. Equipotential surfaces may appear to intersect in diagrams, but this is due to limitations in representing three-dimensional surfaces on a two-dimensional plane.