Why electric field is always perpendicular to equipotential?

In summary, the electrostatic force is given by F = qE, where F and E are vector quantities. When the dot product is taken along an equipotential line, the equation becomes F⋅Δs = qE⋅Δs. Since no work is done to move a charge along an equipotential line, the dot product is 0 and this means qE⋅Δs = 0. In order for this equation to hold true for all cases, E must be perpendicular to Δs. This applies to equipotential lines surrounding any charge, not just point charges.
David Day
I have some understanding, but I'm not sure about how accurate it is:

Electrostatic force is given by F = qE, where F and E are both vector quantities. If the dot product of either side and the displacement vector Δs along an equipotential line is taken, the equation becomes

F⋅Δs = qE⋅Δs.

F and E are parallel; equipotential lines surround a charge radially. Since no work is done to move a charge along an equipotential line, F⋅Δs = 0. This means

qE⋅Δs = 0,

but q, E, and Δs are assumed to be nonzero. The only way to make the equation zero is to make E perpendicular to Δs (i.e., cosθ = 0) in all cases.

I would really appreciate a better explanation and pointing out of any errors in my understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
David Day said:
I have some understanding, but I'm not sure about how accurate it is:

Electrostatic force is given by F = qE, where F and E are both vector quantities. If the dot product of either side and the displacement vector Δs along an equipotential line is taken, the equation becomes

F⋅Δs = qE⋅Δs.

F and E are parallel; equipotential lines surround a charge radially. Since no work is done to move a charge along an equipotential line, F⋅Δs = 0. This means

qE⋅Δs = 0,

but q, E, and Δs are assumed to be nonzero. The only way to make the equation zero is to make E perpendicular to Δs (i.e., cosθ = 0) in all cases.

I would really appreciate a better explanation and pointing out of any errors in my understanding.
This is correct. Note that the case of a point charge is a special case and there is no need to talk about point charges in your derivation. What you showed is that in general, the E field will be perpendicular to equipotential surfaces (they really are surfaces). Of course, this is true for the equipotential surfaces around point charges but your proof is more general than that.

Last edited:
Likes David Day

Related to Why electric field is always perpendicular to equipotential?

1. Why is the electric field always perpendicular to equipotential?

The electric field is always perpendicular to equipotential because equipotential lines are defined as points with the same electric potential. This means that the electric potential at every point on the equipotential line is constant, and therefore the gradient of the electric potential is always zero. Since the electric field is defined as the negative gradient of electric potential, the electric field must be perpendicular to the equipotential line.

2. How do we know that the electric field is always perpendicular to equipotential?

This relationship between electric field and equipotential is derived from the fundamental laws of electrostatics, specifically Gauss's law and the definition of electric potential. By considering the behavior of electric charges and the definition of electric potential, it can be mathematically proven that the electric field must be perpendicular to equipotential lines.

3. Does the direction of the electric field change along an equipotential line?

No, the direction of the electric field remains constant along an equipotential line. This is because the electric potential is constant at all points along the line, and therefore the direction of the electric field, which is determined by the gradient of the electric potential, will also remain constant.

4. What is the significance of the electric field being perpendicular to equipotential?

The relationship between electric field and equipotential is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric charges and the distribution of electric potential in a given system. It also allows us to make predictions about the direction and magnitude of the electric field at any point in space.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that electric field is always perpendicular to equipotential?

In most cases, the electric field will be perpendicular to equipotential lines. However, there are some special cases, such as near the edges of conductors or in regions with non-uniform electric fields, where the electric field may not be strictly perpendicular to the equipotential line. In these cases, the electric field will still be directed towards regions of lower potential, but it may not be exactly perpendicular to the equipotential line.