How to do this partial derivative

In summary, a partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables, while holding all other variables constant. To find a partial derivative, you must identify the variable you are taking the derivative with respect to and use differentiation rules. A partial derivative only considers one variable, while a total derivative takes into account all variables. The chain rule can be applied to partial derivatives. Partial derivatives are useful in science for analyzing complex systems and predicting the impact of changes in one variable.
PhilosophyofPhysics
I believe I have already found them for S and g, but I'm not sure how to do this for M2 and also M1 and M3.

Attachments

• for.jpg
    for.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest using free image hosting sites, such as http://www.imageshack.us/ to host pictures so you don't have to wait for the attenment to be approved

is it approved now?

Related to How to do this partial derivative

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables, while holding all other variables constant.

How do I find a partial derivative?

To find a partial derivative, you must first determine which variable you are taking the derivative with respect to. Then, you can use the rules of differentiation to calculate the derivative, treating all other variables as constants.

What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative only considers the change in a function with respect to one variable, while holding others constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, takes into account the changes in all variables.

Can I use the chain rule for partial derivatives?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to partial derivatives. It states that the derivative of a composition of functions is equal to the product of the derivatives of each individual function.

Why are partial derivatives useful in science?

Partial derivatives are useful in science because they allow for the measurement of how a specific variable affects a function, while keeping other variables constant. This can be helpful in analyzing complex systems and predicting how changes in one variable will impact the overall system.