How to do really well in Ap Physics C?

In summary, the speaker is a junior taking AP Physics C and AP Calc BC concurrently. They are feeling pressure as the classes are reputed to be difficult and they want to excel. They have a friend who is expected to set the curve in class and they want advice on how to do well. The advice given is to work hard, go beyond the homework, and self-study using a good textbook. The speaker is also directed to a forum post on self-studying mathematics, which may be helpful in studying physics as well.
niksiv
So (this is my first thread by the way so sorry if it is in the wrong place) I am now a junior who has just started junior year (Last week). I am taking AP Physics C and AP Calc BC concurrently. I have always been pretty good at math and physics, but never amazing, just around mid to low A level. Though we have not really started learning content yet, but I am already feeling the pressure upon me because this is reputed as the hardest class at our school and most people keep saying that I am going to fail because I am one of the only two juniors who is taking this class and is taking BC right now. There are some other juniors who already know calc even though they are also in BC, and a lot of senior who are in Multivariable. I was just wondering what I should do so that I can really and truly excel in this class. Like not just on tests but to really be able to understand and feel the content, to understand how and why everything works. I want true understanding. On the side though, I have one friend who is reputed to be a Physics genius because he is really good at math and physics. In our class we use old ap tests as part of our exams and our teacher said the average score for a 5 has usually been around 60%, but he only curves if no one gets a 100%, and this friend I have is expected by everybody else in the class to be the one setting the curve. I know its petty but I really want to be the one setting the curve and excelling in class, and I want your advice on what to do, what to study, how to learn, what/how i should be doing with calculus etc.

Thanks and sorry for the long post, just really excited for this year

Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck brah.

Alcathous said:
Good luck brah.
Lol thanks I guess

There is no magic word or potion that will make you do better. I'm afraid you know the answer already: hard work. Try not only to do the homework and study the lessons, but go beyond it: get a good physics book and work the problems, ask yourself novel questions, experiment, etc.
I have a thread in this forum on how to self-study mathematics, a lot of it is applicable on how to study physics, so you might find that useful.

micromass said:
There is no magic word or potion that will make you do better. I'm afraid you know the answer already: hard work. Try not only to do the homework and study the lessons, but go beyond it: get a good physics book and work the problems, ask yourself novel questions, experiment, etc.

I have a thread in this forum on how to self-study mathematics, a lot of it is applicable on how to study physics, so you might find that useful.
Thanks you very much. I am definitely willing to work hard and smart as much as necessary. Our class uses the third edition of physics for scientists and engineers by Fishbane. Would that be a good textbook? My teacher said that it clearly wasn't light reading but that being able to understand that would mean surely being able to understand the class. Also, I was wondering how i would access that post about math that you mentioned?

niksiv said:
I was wondering how i would access that post about math that you mentioned?

Look up at the top of this forum (Academic Guidance). It's the thread titled "Self-studying mathematics - Discussion"

Related to How to do really well in Ap Physics C?

1. How much math is involved in Ap Physics C?

Ap Physics C is a calculus-based course, so a strong understanding of calculus is necessary. However, the math involved is not overly complex and is used to solve physics problems.

2. How can I prepare for the Ap Physics C exam?

To do well in Ap Physics C, it is important to practice regularly and thoroughly understand the concepts. You can also review past exams and practice problems, as well as seek help from your teacher or a tutor if needed.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of physics before taking Ap Physics C?

While it may be helpful to have a basic understanding of physics, it is not required to do well in Ap Physics C. The course covers topics in mechanics and electricity and magnetism, so as long as you have a strong foundation in math, you can succeed in this course.

4. What strategies can I use to solve physics problems more effectively?

One helpful strategy is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also important to draw diagrams and label all known and unknown variables. Additionally, always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

5. How can I stay organized and keep up with the material in Ap Physics C?

It is important to stay on top of the material in Ap Physics C, as concepts build on each other. To stay organized, you can create a study schedule and regularly review your notes and class material. You can also form study groups with classmates to discuss and practice problems together.