How to deal with feeling of not wanting to learn anything?

• Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
In summary: No doubt, but "can't read text material" is also a serious...In summary, the person has been feeling overwhelmed with studying since their exams ended and they are now facing the challenge of learning from textual content without any videos available. They are struggling to find motivation to start studying and are seeking guidance on how to learn from text content. The other person suggests focusing on the task at hand and not getting overwhelmed by the entire to-do list, and also emphasizes the importance of delayed gratification for future success. They also mention their own experience of learning from books without the internet or videos. The person continues to express their struggle with learning from text content and the lack of exercises or projects in the course. The other person suggests that a university degree
shivajikobardan
IDK what is this feeling. Since my exams were over about 10 days ago, I have been feeling like this tbh...I did rest as well. Now the next thing to be studied is big data where I need to study from textual content and there is no videos for it. So I know that is also one reasons for my lack of starting to study...IDK..I have been feeling this since a long time. How do I fix this feeling?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just focus on the task at hand and not on everything on your todo list. For example, I have a large project that I'll be working on this year and if I worried about everything that I don't know, I would feel overwhelmed. Instead, I am just working on the individual pieces one at a time. Nobody eats an entire steak in a single bite. :oldwink:

Likes PhDeezNutz
Borg said:
Just focus on the task at hand and not on everything on your todo list. For example, I have a large project that I'll be working on this year and if I worried about everything that I don't know, I would feel overwhelmed. Instead, I am just working on the individual pieces one at a time. Nobody eats an entire steak in a single bite. :oldwink:
I don't want to start at all man.

shivajikobardan said:
I have been feeling like this tbh...I did rest as well. Now the next thing to be studied is big data where I need to study from textual content and there is no videos for it.
I don't have any sympathy here. Back when I was in college, a long time ago, there was no internet and definitely no videos. All of my classes used books.

shivajikobardan said:
IDK..I have been feeling this since a long time. How do I fix this feeling?
The main driver should be delayed gratification -- enduring some hardship now to pave the way for a more gratifying experience later. How different would your life be with the university degree you're working toward, as opposed to without that degree?

Likes gmax137 and shivajikobardan
When I was in school I spent my summers doing outdoor construction work. Very physical grunt work. It was fun in its own way, but also kept me motivated to do well in academics.

Likes CalcNerd, Vanadium 50, vela and 1 other person
Mark44 said:
I don't have any sympathy here. Back when I was in college, a long time ago, there was no internet and definitely no videos. All of my classes used books.
Man I need two or three things about how you are learning from text contents?
Can you guide a bit? I will be so happy the day I can learn from text content.
Mark44 said:
The main driver should be delayed gratification -- enduring some hardship now to pave the way for a more gratifying experience later. How different would your life be with the university degree you're working toward, as opposed to without that degree?
I see.

shivajikobardan said:
Just read them...

• Haha
Likes shivajikobardan and hutchphd
Mark44 said:
Just read them...
haha it is not that simple for me. i don't get gist by reading text content.

Are there exercises or problems? Do them all.

shivajikobardan said:
the next thing to be studied is big data

I don't know much about this, maybe you need to do some kind of project? Start now.

gmax137 said:
Are there exercises or problems? Do them all.
There isn't even a textbook brother. That's the whole issue...I have to study it from internet articles which I am not very good at...and read slides which I am not excellent at.
gmax137 said:
I don't know much about this, maybe you need to do some kind of project? Start now.
There are no projects in this course tho. It is all theory

shivajikobardan said:
There isn't even a textbook brother. That's the whole issue...I have to study it from internet articles which I am not very good at...and read slides which I am not excellent at.
If the only way you can learn is from videos, then maybe you're in the wrong course of study.

Mark44 said:
If the only way you can learn is from videos, then maybe you're in the wrong course of study.
bro no matter what i study i need to learn to learn from text contents.

shivajikobardan said:
bro no matter what i study i need to learn to learn from text contents.
Then maybe a university degree is not in your future.

• Haha
Likes shivajikobardan
Mark44 said:
:(

Hmmmm. Can't motivate to study, can't motivate to get up in the morning, sounds like other issues in your life to me.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes berkeman and shivajikobardan
Averagesupernova said:
Hmmmm. Can't motivate to study, can't motivate to get up in the morning, sounds like other issues in your life to me.
No doubt, but "can't read text material" is also a serious concern.

Mark44 said:
No doubt, but "can't read text material" is also a serious concern.
bro why are you acting like people are born with these skills? lol bro. do you get fun in hating others?

Last edited by a moderator:
shivajikobardan said:
bro why are you acting like people are born with these skills?
Of course I'm not. There are exactly 0 babies born who know how to read. This is a learned skill. If you are serious about getting a degree in computer science, you absolutely need to know how to read. If this is difficult for you, it's something you need to work on, not just give lame excuses that you aren't "good at" or "excellent at."
shivajikobardan said:
do you get fun in hating others?
No, but if there are obvious reasons why someone isn't doing well or motivated to continue, I don't have any problem pointing out some of these reasons. Anyone who is in university but says they don't do well at reading needs to either fix that problem or consider another career.

Likes Vanadium 50 and shivajikobardan
Mark44 said:
Of course I'm not. There are exactly 0 babies born who know how to read. This is a learned skill. If you are serious about getting a degree in computer science, you absolutely need to know how to read. If this is difficult for you, it's something you need to work on, not just give lame excuses that you aren't "good at" or "excellent at."

ok
Mark44 said:
No, but if there are obvious reasons why someone isn't doing well or motivated to continue, I don't have any problem pointing out some of these reasons. Anyone who is in university but says they don't do well at reading needs to either fix that problem or consider another career.
bro come to nepal. barely anyone knows how to read(except top university which has ~100 students). i am probably the few of students in my college who at least try to read books. lol. it is pathetic bro.

shivajikobardan said:
A lot of students have the same problem as you because they don't know how to get information from a textbook. It takes work.

I tutored a student once who paid me to read his textbook and explain what it was saying. He only did it once because I think he saw the process I went through. I didn't just read the book and immediately get what it was saying. Sometimes I had to flip back in the book and read some earlier material to learn definitions, etc. Other times, I'd read a few sentences, and I wouldn't know exactly what they meant. So I'd end up saying what I found confusing and asking him what the sentences might mean. I'd also offer suggestions on what the author might be saying, and every once in a while, I'd say something that connected to something he knew or heard in class. Then he'd explain that to me and I'd reread those sentences and paraphrase what I thought it meant based on the information he had provided.

It wasn't so much that he couldn't do this himself, but he just got discouraged when it didn't make sense to him right away. But he could see that I hit the same roadblocks he did, but I just didn't quit so quickly. I kept banging away at it until it made sense to me. That one tutoring session, I think, really opened his eyes to what level of work was expected of him in his classes.

• Informative
Likes bigmike94, MidgetDwarf, symbolipoint and 3 others
vela said:
I tutored a student once who paid me to read his textbook and explain what it was saying. He only did it once because I think he saw the process I went through. I didn't just read the book and immediately get what it was saying.

And the next session, he got a tutor who already knew the book :p

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian, MidgetDwarf and vela
vela said:
A lot of students have the same problem as you because they don't know how to get information from a textbook. It takes work.

I tutored a student once who paid me to read his textbook and explain what it was saying. He only did it once because I think he saw the process I went through. I didn't just read the book and immediately get what it was saying. Sometimes I had to flip back in the book and read some earlier material to learn definitions, etc. Other times, I'd read a few sentences, and I wouldn't know exactly what they meant. So I'd end up saying what I found confusing and asking him what the sentences might mean. I'd also offer suggestions on what the author might be saying, and every once in a while, I'd say something that connected to something he knew or heard in class. Then he'd explain that to me and I'd reread those sentences and paraphrase what I thought it meant based on the information he had provided.

It wasn't so much that he couldn't do this himself, but he just got discouraged when it didn't make sense to him right away. But he could see that I hit the same roadblocks he did, but I just didn't quit so quickly. I kept banging away at it until it made sense to me. That one tutoring session, I think, really opened his eyes to what level of work was expected of him in his classes.
makes sense.
https://academia.stackexchange.com/...ely-learn-new-content-from-text-based-content
Here I have asked question in stackxchange as well. The question and question whose backlink I have given in that stackexchange post are mine as well lol..

My problem is little bit complicated. It is not like I am not putting effort. It is also not that I have hard time reading mathematics where there are examples to learn and exercises to solve. My issue starts where the main focus is only text content without exercises, without numbers etc.

shivajikobardan said:
IDK what is this feeling. Since my exams were over about 10 days ago, I have been feeling like this tbh...I did rest as well. Now the next thing to be studied is big data where I need to study from textual content and there is no videos for it. So I know that is also one reasons for my lack of starting to study...
It's normal to feel burned out at times, and it's important to give yourself some down-time to recharge.

One technique you can try is to simply commit to working on a task for, say, 10 minutes. Get rid of all possible distractions. Turn off the TV, put your phone away, etc. Work on the task for 10 minutes. That's all you're committing to. After those 10 minutes, you can then decide whether or not to keep going. This can help you overcome the hump of just getting started.

• Informative
Likes shivajikobardan
shivajikobardan said:
My problem is little bit complicated. It is not like I am not putting effort. It is also not that I have hard time reading mathematics where there are examples to learn and exercises to solve. My issue starts where the main focus is only text content without exercises, without numbers etc.

I don't really understand this course you are taking. Can you give an example of an internet article you have been asked to read? Even if the whole thing is theory, there should still be problems the theory is capable of solving, and you should be trying to solve them to practice using the theory. Even if you haven't been given any explicit problems to do, you can try to find some on Google, or make up your own, or come here and ask for some practice problems related to xyz.

Likes gmax137
shivajikobardan said:
It's not only about effort. You also have to learn how to study effectively. There are many students who put in the time and effort, but because they don't study effectively, the time and effort are largely wasted. Does your school offer assistance in learning techniques and study skills? If so, you should check them out. There's also a lot of information available on the internet. Commit to trying new methods out and keep doing what works for you.

Is the problem, a reading or perhaps learning disability e.g., dyslexia? This has nothing to do with intelligence.
Perhaps finding a psychologist specializing in reading/learning problems would be more beneficial.

Likes PhDeezNutz, vela and symbolipoint
shivajikobardan said:

I see.
What Mark44 said is far more valuable and important than I know how to say.

shivajikobardan said:
This then is a Reading Comprehension problem.
( I have only reached the post #8. )

Mark44 said:
One of the quotes did not get into the post.
What are you studying? Are you an enrolled student in a college or university? At what level are you?
Maybe I ask this prematurely, not having yet read past #14.

shivajikobardan said:
ok

bro come to nepal. barely anyone knows how to read(except top university which has ~100 students). i am probably the few of students in my college who at least try to read books. lol. it is pathetic bro.
Maybe if some members are familiar with this from your region and culture , they may give better advice. Reading, especially from instructive textbooks is essential. Curiously, some people may want to be informed, in which natural human language, both spoken and written, is your schooling/instruction (in college or university)?

shivajikobardan said:
Is that credible? Seriously! Credible?

symbolipoint said:
What are you studying? Are you an enrolled student in a college or university? At what level are you?

From another thread, he is in his 4th and final year of a university CS degree. But he has complained before about his perceived quality of the education there, and has claimed that almost nobody in his senior CS graduating class even knows how to write code...

shivajikobardan said:
I had mental health issues from 1st year to 3rd year, so I could not focus in my studied. PS the education quality is dang here(Although I believe I could have done lot better had I not had serious mental health issues at the time)...Probably there are 20 students out of 50 students who can code(I am being really generous)

Likes shivajikobardan
shivajikobardan said:
My issue starts where the main focus is only text content without exercises, without numbers etc.
How did you succeed in any previous courses that used text as the primary teaching method? Anyway, you're not limited to the resource(s) provided by your instructor. You mentioned "big data" in your first post. A quick YouTube search yields countless videos. Maybe try some of those to start?

berkeman said:
From another thread, he is in his 4th and final year of a university CS degree. But he has complained before about his perceived quality of the education there, and has claimed that almost nobody in his senior CS graduating class even knows how to write code...
Perhaps he is exaggerating, but it is not at all uncommon for CS students to lack programming skill. After all, the focus of the degree is to prepare the student for academic research, not industry.

scompi said:
Perhaps he is exaggerating, but it is not at all uncommon for CS students to lack programming skill. After all, the focus of the degree is to prepare the student for academic research, not industry.
I would guess, without having done any digging for the data, that more CS students go into industry than academia. As far as CS students lacking programming skills, this seems to be a common complaint from industry hiring managers. A case in point is the Fizz Buzz program, which the vast majority of prospective CS hirees are unable to implement -- see https://thebittheories.com/what-is-the-fizzbuzz-test-7a78b5819024.

Likes scompi
I think as others have suggested…….you need to see a therapist/psychiatrist if possible. You sound depressed to be honest.

Anyway "Introduction to Statistical Learning" is seen as a good intro text to Machine Learning/Big Data and it's available for free by the publisher online. This one will get you started but leave you mathematically wanting more.

https://www.statlearning.com/

As is elements of statistical learning (A little bit more hardcore than the one above but its followup)

https://hastie.su.domains/ElemStatLearn/

• Informative
Likes berkeman