How to deal with f(z) that is only analytic outside the unit disk?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the integral of a function f(z) is 0 if |z|<1 and is equal to f(z)/z if |z|>1. An example is provided to show that the integral is 0 for certain values of z, but the general case is not yet proven. The possibility of using Cauchy's Integral Theorem is also mentioned, but it only applies to simply-connected regions, which may not be the case in this problem.
Cmeteorolite

Homework Statement

f(z) is analytic for |z|≥1. Let C be the unit circle. Show that the integral [itex]\frac{1}{2i\pi}\int_C\frac{f(w)}{wz-z^2}dw[/itex] is 0 if [itex]|z|<1[/itex], is [itex]\frac{f(z)}{z}[/itex] if [itex]|z|>1[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For [itex]|z|<1[/itex] case, I tried to write the integral as
[itex]\frac{1}{z2\pi i}\int_C\frac{f(w)}{w-z}dw[/itex] and write the integrand as a series
[itex] \frac{f(w)}{w}\sum_{n=0}^\infty(\frac{z}{w})^n [/itex] which converges uniformly, then interchange integral with summation ... I tried to show that every term under the summation is 0 but didn't make it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Cmeteorolite said:

Homework Statement

f(z) is analytic for |z|≥1. Let C be the unit circle. Show that the integral [itex]\frac{1}{2i\pi}\int_C\frac{f(w)}{wz-z^2}dw[/itex] is 0 if [itex]|z|<1[/itex], is [itex]\frac{f(z)}{z}[/itex] if [itex]|z|>1[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For [itex]|z|<1[/itex] case, I tried to write the integral as
[itex]\frac{1}{z2\pi i}\int_C\frac{f(w)}{w-z}dw[/itex] and write the integrand as a series
[itex] \frac{f(w)}{w}\sum_{n=0}^\infty(\frac{z}{w})^n [/itex] which converges uniformly, then interchange integral with summation ... I tried to show that every term under the summation is 0 but didn't make it...

I think you have that worded wrong. How about I write it like I think it should be:

Let [itex]f(z)[/itex] be entire. Then:

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1} \frac{f(w)}{wz-z^2}dw=
\begin{cases} 0 & |z|>1 \\ \frac{f(z)}{z} & 0<|z|<1
\end{cases}
[/tex]

jackmell said:
I think you have that worded wrong. How about I write it like I think it should be:

Let [itex]f(z)[/itex] be entire. Then:

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1} \frac{f(w)}{wz-z^2}dw=
\begin{cases} 0 & |z|>1 \\ \frac{f(z)}{z} & 0<|z|<1
\end{cases}
[/tex]

I guess the main difference between our wording is that we have exactly the opposite range of [itex]|z|[/itex] ? I think the problem I wrote was correct since [itex]f(z)[/itex] is only analytic outside the unit circle. So it seems to have exactly the opposite answer as what we originally expected. The normal case we encountered that can apply Cauchy's Integral Formula is that [itex]f(z)[/itex] is analytic inside and on a circle of certain radius

Ok, I think I understand now.

How about we do an example and then see if you can generalize it. Let:

[tex]f(w)=\frac{1}{w-1/4}[/tex]

That's certainly analytic outside the unit disc and not analytic inside the unit disc. So now, let's take [itex]z=1/5[/itex] so that [itex]|z|<1[/itex]

Then we have:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1}\frac{1}{1/5(w-1/4)(w-1/5)}dw[/tex]

Now, that's zero right? In fact, any integral:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1}\frac{1}{(w-a)(w-b)}dw[/tex]

with a and b inside the unit circle is zero. You can prove that right? Just compute the residues and add them. But that's just for a simple pole and you did not state what the order of the pole for f(w) inside the unit disc was.

Last edited:
jackmell said:
Ok, I think I understand now.

How about we do an example and then see if you can generalize it. Let:

[tex]f(w)=\frac{1}{w-1/4}[/tex]

That's certainly analytic outside the unit disc and not analytic inside the unit disc. So now, let's take [itex]z=1/5[/itex] so that [itex]|z|<1[/itex]

Then we have:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1}\frac{1}{1/5(w-1/4)(w-1/5)}dw[/tex]

Now, that's zero right? In fact, any integral:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1}\frac{1}{(w-a)(w-b)}dw[/tex]

with a and b inside the unit circle is zero. You can prove that right? Just compute the residues and add them. But that's just for a simple pole and you did not state what the order of the pole for f(w) inside the unit disc was.

Thanks for your example~ Things are getting complicated if no explicit expression of [itex]f(z)[/itex] is given. Is there a way of showing
[itex]\int_{|w|=1}\frac{f(w)dw}{w^{n+1}}=0[/itex] for [itex]n=0,1,2,...[/itex] ?
Or it is a false statement ?

Also for the [itex]|z|>1[/itex] part, can I just specify a circle with radius [itex]R>|z|[/itex], and claim that since [itex]f(z)[/itex] is analytic within the annulus [itex]1<|z|<R[/itex], Cauchy's integral formula could be applied ? Or this theorem could only be applied for cases where the the function is analytic within the whole circle rather than an annulus ?

How about this example:

[tex]f(w)=w+\frac{1}{w-1/2}[/tex]

Then again it's not analytic in the unit circle but analytic outside it. Letting z=1/5, the integral is:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{|w|=1} \frac{f(w)}{w-1/5}dw\neq 0[/tex]

So at this point, either the question is phrased wrong or I'm stuck.

Also. Cauchy's Integral Theorem applies to simply-connected regions like a disc. The annulus you talked about is not simply-connected.

Maybe try looking at [itex]f(\frac{1}{z})[/itex]?

Related to How to deal with f(z) that is only analytic outside the unit disk?

1. What is an analytic function?

An analytic function is a complex-valued function that can be locally represented by a convergent power series. This means that the function is differentiable at every point within its domain.

2. What is the unit disk?

The unit disk is the set of all complex numbers whose absolute value is less than or equal to 1. It can be represented as the circle centered at the origin with a radius of 1 on the complex plane.

3. Why is f(z) only analytic outside the unit disk?

This could be due to the presence of singularities or branch cuts within the unit disk, which make the function non-differentiable at those points. It could also be a result of the function being defined differently for different regions of the complex plane.

4. How do I deal with f(z) that is only analytic outside the unit disk?

There are several techniques that can be used to deal with such a function. One approach is to use analytic continuation, which extends the function's domain beyond the unit disk by using its analytic properties. Another approach is to use conformal mapping to transform the function into a simpler form that is analytic on the entire complex plane.

5. What are the implications of f(z) being only analytic outside the unit disk?

This means that the function may behave differently within and outside the unit disk, and care must be taken when evaluating the function within its domain. It also limits the use of certain mathematical techniques, such as Cauchy's integral formula, which rely on the function being analytic on a closed contour.