Elliptic functions: Weierstrass psi function limit

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the task of showing that a certain limit equals 1, and the process of simplifying the summation in the second term. The summation represents an infinite number of terms, but in this case they are all equal to 1, leading to a simplified answer of infinity. The summation is used to represent the infinite number of periods in the function ##\psi(z)##. The first term corresponds to ##w=0## and the remaining terms correspond to all the other periods.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Show that
##\lim_{z \to 0} z^2( \psi(z)-\psi(\frac{w_j}{2})) =1##

where ##\psi(z)=\frac{1}{z^2}+\sum\limits_{w \in \Omega}' \frac{1}{(z-w)^2}-\frac{1}{w^2}##

where ##\Omega## are the periods of ##\psi(z)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\lim_{z \to 0} z^2( \psi(z)-\psi(\frac{w_j}{2}))= 1 + \sum\limits_{w\in \Omega}'\frac{z^2}{(z-w)^2}-\frac{z^2}{w^2}##

The last time clearly vanishes.

For the second term I can write this as ##\frac{1}{(1-\frac{w}{z})^2} \to 1 ## as ##z \to 0 ##

So I get

##\lim_{z \to 0} z^2( \psi(z)-\psi(\frac{w_j}{2})) =1+ \sum_{w \in \Omega}' 1##

This is probably a stupid question but I don't really understand the summation second term here.

##\sum_{n=1}^{n=n} 1 = n## right?

So there's an infintie number of ## w \in \Omega ## so obviously I don't want to do this, are you in affect looking at the limit '##mod \Omega ##', so where the first term corresponds to ##w=0 ## ?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance,
Dear [Forum User],

Thank you for your question. Your solution looks correct to me. The summation in the second term does indeed represent an infinite number of terms, which can appear daunting. However, in this particular case, the terms are all equal to 1, and therefore the summation can be simplified to ##\infty \cdot 1 = \infty##. In this context, the summation is used to represent the infinite number of periods in the function ##\psi(z)##. As you correctly pointed out, the first term corresponds to ##w=0##, and the remaining terms correspond to all the other periods in the function.

I hope this clarifies things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Elliptic functions: Weierstrass psi function limit

1. What are elliptic functions?

Elliptic functions are a type of complex function that are periodic in both the real and imaginary directions. They are important in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of elliptic curves and their applications.

2. What is the Weierstrass psi function?

The Weierstrass psi function, denoted by Ψ, is a special type of elliptic function that is defined as the logarithmic derivative of the Weierstrass zeta function. It is a meromorphic function that has simple poles at the lattice points of the underlying elliptic curve.

3. What is the limit of the Weierstrass psi function?

The limit of the Weierstrass psi function is dependent on the value of its argument. For arguments that are not on the lattice of the underlying elliptic curve, the limit is equal to zero. However, if the argument is a lattice point, the limit is equal to infinity.

4. What is the significance of the Weierstrass psi function limit?

The limit of the Weierstrass psi function is important in the study of elliptic curves and their applications. It helps in determining the behavior of the function at its poles, which are essential in understanding the properties of the elliptic curve. It also plays a vital role in the theory of elliptic functions and their transformations.

5. How is the Weierstrass psi function limit calculated?

The Weierstrass psi function limit is calculated using the formula Ψ(z) = -1/z + ∑(1/(z-n)), where n ranges over all the lattice points of the underlying elliptic curve. This formula can be used to calculate the limit at any point on the complex plane.