How to Create an Average Velocity vs. Time Graph from Collected Data Points

In summary: I only have data up to t=0, so I can't do anything with the t-values.In summary, the data points show an average velocity of .806 meters per second over the course of 1 second.
ccsmarty

Homework Statement

Make a graph of the average velocity vs. time using data points collected.

Data points:
(0.8023 s, 0.606 m)
(0.9027 s, 0.710 m)
(1.0031 s, 0.816 m)
(1.1035 s, 0.912 m)
(1.2039 s, 1.023 m)
*s = seconds
*m = meters

Homework Equations

Avg. Velocity = (x-x0)/(t-t0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the average velocity for each segment (ie. from point 1 to point 2 and so on), but I'm not sure how to come up with the time component of the ordered pair of the average velocity points.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd plot the average velocity over the time you calculated for... for example the average velocity you got using (0.8023 s, 0.606 m) and (0.9027 s, 0.710 m)... you plot that average velocity number over the times 0.8023s to 0.9027s...

So you'll have a bunch of horizontal straight line segments...

So I presume you started with

[tex]\frac{x_1 - x_0}{t_1 - t_0} = v_1 = .606/.802[/tex]

This gives the average velocity of the time interval [0, .802]. So whatever the average velocity is you should have that value go from 0 to .802. Does this help? I'm not really sure what you mean.

Rather calculate the average velocity with

[tex]v_{avg} = \frac{x_{n+1} - x_n }{t_{n+1} - t_n}[/tex]

It is not clear from your data what is given, the change in distance and time, or just the distance and time. My guess is that it is the second case.

Take the time for the average speed in the middle of each time interval, that is the time from the beginning up to the middle of the interval where the average speed was calculated.

The data is just the distance that a cart traveled along a track at different times.
And thanks for the help everyone, I hope I can figure out with your advice. :)

I don't really get it... ARe you supposed to graph the points and find a least squares regression, are are you actually calculating the average velocity? If you're calculating the average velocity you need to give a time interval...

Last edited:

Related to How to Create an Average Velocity vs. Time Graph from Collected Data Points

1. What is an average velocity graph?

An average velocity graph is a graphical representation of the average velocity of an object over a given period of time. It shows the relationship between an object's displacement and time, and can be used to analyze an object's motion.

2. How is an average velocity graph calculated?

An average velocity graph is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time. This gives the average velocity of the object over the given time period. The slope of the graph represents the average velocity, with steeper slopes indicating higher velocities.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated over a given period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity shows the object's velocity at a particular point.

4. How does acceleration affect an average velocity graph?

If an object is accelerating, its average velocity will change over time, resulting in a curved average velocity graph. The steeper the curve, the greater the acceleration of the object. If an object is moving at a constant velocity, the average velocity graph will be a straight line.

5. What can an average velocity graph tell us about an object's motion?

An average velocity graph can tell us the direction and speed of an object's motion, as well as any changes in velocity. It can also be used to calculate the displacement and distance traveled by an object. Additionally, the shape of the graph can provide information about the acceleration of the object.