Average acceleration from average velocity?

In summary, the average acceleration of a particle traveling at a constant speed on a semicircular path can be calculated by dividing 2 by 5 times pi, resulting in a value of 2/ (5pi) m/s^2. However, the average acceleration is not always equal to the average velocity divided by time, as seen in the example where the average velocity is 2/pi m/s and the average acceleration is 2/(5pi) m/s^2. This is because the average velocity and acceleration are dependent on the chosen initial velocity.
Fizz_Geek

Homework Statement

A particle travels from point A to point B following a semicircular path (a half-circle) of radius 5 m, and it travels at a constant speed of 1 m/s. Find the average acceleration of the particle.

Homework Equations

Average acceleration = change in velocity/ change in time

Total time = distance / speed

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know the answer, and I understand why it's true:

v0 = 1 m/s
vf = -1 m/s

total time = (5 pi m) / (1 m/s) = 5pi seconds

Avg acceleration = (2 / (5pi) ) m/s^2

My question is: Is the average acceleration ever equal to the (average velocity/ time) ? In this case, I know it's not because:

Avg velocity = displacement / time = 10 m / 5pi sec = (2/ pi) m/s

And, if I divided by the time, I would get a factor of pi^2 in the denominator, which is not in my original answer.

I would really appreciate any help sorting this out! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a 1-dimensional motion, ##v(t)=v_0 + at## with constant a, from t=0 to T. The average acceleration is a, the average velocity is v0+aT/2. As you are free to choose v0, you can get your equality.

Particles at rest have zero average velocity and acceleration, they are a special case of my example for a=0.

Related to Average acceleration from average velocity?

1. What is the formula for calculating average acceleration from average velocity?

The formula for calculating average acceleration from average velocity is:

a = (vf - vi) / t

Where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How is average acceleration different from average velocity?

Average acceleration and average velocity are different in that average acceleration measures the change in velocity over time, while average velocity measures the displacement over time. Average acceleration takes into account the direction of the velocity, while average velocity does not.

3. What units are used to measure average acceleration from average velocity?

The units used to measure average acceleration from average velocity are typically meters per second squared (m/s2). This is because acceleration is measured as a change in velocity over time, and velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. Can average acceleration be negative?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. Positive average acceleration indicates that the object is speeding up or moving in the same direction as its initial velocity.

5. How is average acceleration used in real life?

Average acceleration is used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the average acceleration of a car during a race, the average acceleration of a roller coaster, or the average acceleration of a rocket during launch. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the motion of objects.