How to find the average accleration on a velocity time graph

In summary: The equation to use is average acceleration = delta v/ delta t, but the asker is getting an incorrect answer of -1.2. It seems that there may not be a change in velocity, so Δv may be 0, resulting in an average acceleration of 0 as well. It's important to remember that acceleration is the slope of a velocity-time graph.
wittlebittle
My physics problem ask me to find the average acceleration on a velocity time graph. On the graph, velocity is at -6 constantly from 0 - 5 s.

I know that an question to use would be average accerlation = delta v/ delta t

The problem is I did that and I still got it incorrect on quest! I did -6 over 5s - 0s
The answer I got was -1.2 please help to tell me what I'm doing wrong and what equation I should be using! Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
wittlebittle said:
My physics problem ask me to find the average acceleration on a velocity time graph. On the graph, velocity is at -6 constantly from 0 - 5 s.
I know that an question to use would be average accerlation = delta v/ delta t
The problem is I did that and I still got it incorrect on quest! I did -6 over 5s - 0s
The answer I got was -1.2 please help to tell me what I'm doing wrong and what equation I should be using! Thanks so much!
If the velocity was -6 during that whole period, is there any change in velocity? So what is Δv? (hint: think of acceleration as the slope of a velocity-time graph).

AM

Related to How to find the average accleration on a velocity time graph

1. What is the formula for finding average acceleration on a velocity-time graph?

The formula for average acceleration is average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

2. How do I interpret the slope of a velocity-time graph to find average acceleration?

The slope of a velocity-time graph represents the change in velocity over a specific time interval. To find average acceleration, you can divide the change in velocity by the corresponding time interval.

3. Can I use any two points on a velocity-time graph to find average acceleration?

No, the two points you choose must be on the same line or curve and should represent the initial and final velocities of the object.

4. Can I find the average acceleration if the velocity-time graph is not a straight line?

Yes, you can still find the average acceleration for a non-linear velocity-time graph. However, the calculated value will represent the average acceleration over the entire time interval, rather than at a specific moment in time.

5. How can I use a velocity-time graph to determine if an object is accelerating or decelerating?

If the velocity-time graph has a positive slope, it indicates that the object is accelerating. On the other hand, a negative slope on the graph indicates that the object is decelerating (or slowing down). A flat line on the graph represents constant velocity (zero acceleration).