How to control any software using batch?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of command prompt to control the Skype software. The speaker is trying to find a way to access options such as contacts, conversation, and call through the command prompt. One suggestion is to use Windows PowerShell, while another suggests using Skype4Py to control Skype from the command line.
Nate Duong
Dear Forum,

I am trying to run a random software (such as skype), there is easy to run by mouse and click on the icon on the desktop.

Now, I am trying to take advance by using CMD (command prompt). I am going to type some basic command to make skype run, but I do not know how to go into any tool option, such as: contacts , Conversation, Call...(they are on tool bar). Everything will be controlled by CMD.

Anyone has any ideal? please advise!

Thank you so much,

Best regards.

Technology news on Phys.org
Nate Duong said:
Dear Forum,

I am trying to run a random software (such as skype), there is easy to run by mouse and click on the icon on the desktop.

Now, I am trying to take advance by using CMD (command prompt). I am going to type some basic command to make skype run, but I do not know how to go into any tool option, such as: contacts , Conversation, Call...(they are on tool bar). Everything will be controlled by CMD.

Anyone has any ideal? please advise!
I don't believe you can do what you're trying to do strictly using the commands in the command prompt. About all you can do from a command prompt is start Skype. However, I think you might be able to use Windows PowerShell to drill down into Skype to get at whatever things Skype exposes. I would advise going to the Skype site to find out some more about their programming model, and what you can do to take advantage of it.

There are programs that can use a GUI with the mouse. If skype does not have interfaces to be controlled by other programs, that is the only alternative I see.

Mark I think that link documents services exposed by the Skype server platform, not the client software.

Here is an example for controlling Skype form the command line.
http://en.tech-notes.net/skype4py-send-skype-messages-from-bash/
It uses Skype4Py https://github.com/Skype4Py/Skype4Py

Likes iheadset

Related to How to control any software using batch?

1. How can I use batch to control any software?

Batch is a command-line language that allows you to create and run scripts to automate tasks on your computer. To control any software using batch, you can use the "start" command followed by the location of the software's executable file. This will launch the software with the specified parameters. You can also use the "taskkill" command to close any running software.

2. Can I use batch to automate repetitive tasks in a software?

Yes, batch is commonly used for automating repetitive tasks in software. You can use batch commands to open and close the software, as well as perform specific actions within the software using keystrokes or mouse clicks. This can save time and increase efficiency for tasks that need to be performed regularly.

3. Is it possible to use batch to control multiple software at once?

Yes, batch allows you to run multiple commands in succession, so you can control multiple software at once by creating a batch file with the necessary commands for each software. You can also use the "start" command to open multiple software simultaneously.

4. How do I troubleshoot any errors when using batch to control software?

If you encounter any errors when using batch to control software, you can use the "echo" command to display the results of each command and pinpoint where the error is occurring. Additionally, you can use the "pause" command to pause the batch file and troubleshoot any issues before proceeding with the next command.

5. Are there any limitations to controlling software with batch?

While batch can be a useful tool for automating tasks and controlling software, it does have its limitations. Some software may not be compatible with batch commands, and certain actions may not be possible to perform using batch alone. Additionally, batch is limited to command-line operations, so it may not be suitable for more complex tasks that require a graphical user interface.