How to create batch file to shutdown computer?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on creating a batch file for quickly shutting down their computer. They have encountered issues with the command window showing up and running too many lines, but the command works when typed directly on the window. The person also shares a simple code and picture of the problem. The suggested solution is to rename the batch file or provide a full path to the shutdown.exe file. Additionally, using "/t 0" and "/f" can help with immediate shutdown and forcing a shutdown without warning the user.
Nate Duong
Dear Group,

I would like to ask a question regarding to the batch file,

I am trying to create a batch file which could help to to shutdown to computer quickly, but when i run batch file, the command window showed up and keep running too many line but did not shut down the computer.

But when I typed directly on the command line window, it worked.

Please give me an advise, and this is a simple code and picture of the problem.
@Echo off
shutdown /s

Thank you group,

Nate Duong.

Attachments

• IMG_2487.JPG
    IMG_2487.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 439
Technology news on Phys.org
If you name your batch file "shutdown.bat" (or "shutdown.cmd") and invoke it from its own directory (that is, the current working directory where the batch file is placed), then the batch file is not calling the windows shutdown.exe but your own batch file instead. If this is the case, then try rename your batch file to something else, or alternatively, provide a full path to the shutdown.exe.

Likes mfb
The default wait time before the shutdown starts is 30 seconds. To make it start immediately, use /t 0. To make it force a shutdown without warning the user, use /f. So try "shutdown /s /f /t 0"

You can see all the details by typing shutdown /? in a DOS command window.

1. What is a batch file?

A batch file is a text file that contains a series of commands that can be executed in sequence by the operating system. It is commonly used to automate repetitive tasks or to run multiple commands at once.

2. How do I create a batch file?

To create a batch file, you can use any text editor such as Notepad. Start by opening a blank document and writing the commands you want to execute. Save the file with the extension ".bat" and it will be recognized as a batch file by the operating system.

3. How do I add the command to shutdown my computer in a batch file?

The command to shutdown a computer is "shutdown -s". You can add this command to your batch file and save it. When you run the batch file, it will execute the shutdown command and turn off your computer.

4. Can I schedule a batch file to shutdown my computer at a specific time?

Yes, you can use the "at" command to schedule a batch file to run at a specific time. For example, the command "at 11:00PM shutdown -s" will schedule the batch file to execute the shutdown command at 11:00 PM.

5. How do I cancel a scheduled shutdown using a batch file?

You can use the "shutdown -a" command in your batch file to cancel a scheduled shutdown. This command will abort any pending shutdowns and keep your computer running.