How to change heading size Bibliography

In summary, the conversation is about changing the font size of the header in a LaTeX document, specifically the header that appears at the start of the bibliography. The person asking the question is new to LaTeX and is asking for clarification on the arguments needed to make this change. They also ask why the example given uses "References" instead of the automated title of "Bibliography".
binbagsss
The title is coming up bigger than the rest of the text
I want it smaller
Is there a fast way to change it?
(just the heading)Thanks a lot !

(assignment deadline tommorrow- your help is really really apppreciated :) ).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're asking us to guess many things here. I'll assume that you are working with ##\LaTeX## and you want the the header that appears at the start of the bibliography to be of a smaller type. This is controlled by the document class, so you can modify the class (change the .cls file or use another class) to get the result you want. The alternative is the following hack: in the preamble (after \documentclass and before \begin{document}), add something of the kind

\renewcommand{\refname}{\normalsize References}

DrClaude said:
\renewcommand{\refname}{\normalsize References}

Thanks for your reply,

Apologies I'm new to latex, could you please explain the arguements more?
Why References- the automated title is 'Bibliography', or is this a choice to rename.

Related to How to change heading size Bibliography

1. How do I change the heading size in my bibliography?

To change the heading size in your bibliography, you will need to access the formatting options in your citation manager or word processor. In most programs, you can select the heading and adjust the font size using the toolbar or by right-clicking and selecting "Font" or "Format". You can also use keyboard shortcuts such as "Ctrl + ]" to increase the font size or "Ctrl + [" to decrease it.

2. Can I change the heading size for specific entries in my bibliography?

Yes, you can change the heading size for specific entries in your bibliography by using the "Heading" or "Title" formatting options in your citation manager or word processor. This will allow you to customize the heading size for individual entries, rather than applying it to the entire bibliography.

3. What is the recommended heading size for a bibliography?

The recommended heading size for a bibliography is usually between 12pt and 14pt, depending on your document's font and layout. It is important to use a size that is easily readable and consistent with the rest of your document's formatting.

4. How can I change the heading size in a specific citation style?

To change the heading size in a specific citation style, you will need to access the style editor in your citation manager. From there, you can modify the heading size in the "Heading" or "Title" formatting options. Make sure to save your changes before using the updated style in your bibliography.

5. Is it necessary to change the heading size in my bibliography?

No, it is not necessary to change the heading size in your bibliography. However, you may want to adjust the size to improve the overall appearance and readability of your document. It is ultimately a personal preference and may vary depending on the citation style and guidelines you are following.