How to calculate volume of a gas at STP?

• Thread starter Mackydoodle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Volume
In summary, to calculate the volume of .250 g of helium at STP, you need to convert the mass of helium to moles using its atomic mass, which is 4. Then, use the fact that a mole of gas occupies 22.4 L at STP to calculate the volume. This information should be covered in your book.
Mackydoodle

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of .250 g of helium at STP.
This seems so simple but I keep getting the wrong answers.
If someone could walk me through how to do this problem so I will know how to do them for our test. Our book doesn't give a good example.

Homework Equations

I know gasses occupy 22.4 L at STP but other then that... I'm not sure how to set up this equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mackydoodle said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of .250 g of helium at STP.
This seems so simple but I keep getting the wrong answers.
If someone could walk me through how to do this problem so I will know how to do them for our test. Our book doesn't give a good example.

Homework Equations

I know gasses occupy 22.4 L at STP but other then that... I'm not sure how to set up this equation

The Attempt at a Solution

More exactly a mole of gas occupies 22.4 L .
So how many moles is 0.25g of He? You can take the atomic mass to be 4.
Moles and atomic mass have got to be in your book so I won't come back on this.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a gas at STP?

To calculate the volume of a gas at STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure), use the formula V = nRT/P, where V is the volume in liters, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and P is the pressure in atmospheres. At STP, the temperature is 273.15 K and the pressure is 1 atmosphere.

2. What is the ideal gas constant?

The ideal gas constant, denoted by the symbol R, is a physical constant that relates the properties of an ideal gas. It has the value of 0.08206 L·atm/mol·K or 8.314 J/mol·K.

3. How do you convert from Celsius to Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the Celsius temperature. This is because the Kelvin scale starts at absolute zero, which is equivalent to -273.15 degrees Celsius.

4. Is STP the same as standard ambient temperature and pressure (SATP)?

No, STP and SATP are not the same. STP is defined as a temperature of 273.15 K and a pressure of 1 atmosphere, while SATP has a temperature of 298.15 K and a pressure of 1 bar (or 0.9869 atmospheres).

5. Can I use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of a gas at non-standard conditions?

Yes, the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the volume of a gas at non-standard conditions. However, the values for temperature and pressure must be adjusted to reflect the actual conditions of the gas. Additionally, the ideal gas law assumes that the gas behaves in an ideal manner, which may not always be the case.