How Does Temperature and Pressure Affect Balloon Volume?

In summary, the initial volume of a balloon filled with air at 296.5 K is 1.15 L. When taken outdoors where the temperature is 278.4 K and pressure is half of the initial value, the volume changes to V2 = (P1V1T2) / (T1P2). To find the initial pressure at 296.5 K, use the expression P1 = (P2T1) / (T2). In this process, pressure and moles remain constant. The final pressure can be calculated using the expression P2 = (P1T2) / (T1). The initial and final moles can be expressed as n1 = (PV1) /
v3ra
A balloon is filled up with air to a volume of 1.15 L at 296.5 K.* What does the volume change to if the balloon is taken outdoors where the temperature is 278.4 K and the pressure is half of what it was indoors?

V2 = (P1V1T2) / (T1P2)

How do I find the initial pressure at 296.5 K if I know that at STP the pressure is 760 mm Hg at 273.15 K?

Physics news on Phys.org
v3ra said:
A balloon is filled up with air to a volume of 1.15 L at 296.5 K.* What does the volume change to if the balloon is taken outdoors where the temperature is 278.4 K and the pressure is half of what it was indoors?

V2 = (P1V1T2) / (T1P2)

How do I find the initial pressure at 296.5 K if I know that at STP the pressure is 760 mm Hg at 273.15 K?

What remains constant in the process? Pressure, temperature, volume or moles?

If P is the initial pressure, what's the final pressure?

The moles would remain constant... how does this help me?

v3ra said:
The moles would remain constant... how does this help me?

Right! So what are the initial moles and final moles? Write the expressions. Do not evaluate.

To find the initial pressure at 296.5 K, you can use the ideal gas law which states that PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin. Since we know the volume (1.15 L) and temperature (296.5 K), we can rearrange the equation to solve for pressure: P = (nRT)/V.

To find the number of moles (n), we can use the ideal gas law again, but this time with the given conditions at STP (standard temperature and pressure). At STP, the pressure is 760 mm Hg (or 1 atm) and the temperature is 273.15 K. So, we can plug these values into the ideal gas law and solve for n: n = (PV)/(RT).

Once we have the value for n, we can plug it into the first equation to solve for the initial pressure at 296.5 K. Keep in mind that the pressure is given in mm Hg, so you may need to convert it to the appropriate units (e.g. atm or kPa) depending on the units used in the first equation.

Related to How Does Temperature and Pressure Affect Balloon Volume?

1. What is the Combined Gas Law?

The Combined Gas Law is a gas law that combines Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Gay-Lussac's Law. It describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas.

2. How is the Combined Gas Law equation derived?

The Combined Gas Law equation is derived by combining the equations for Boyle's Law (P1V1 = P2V2), Charles's Law (V1/T1 = V2/T2), and Gay-Lussac's Law (P1/T1 = P2/T2) into one equation: (P1V1/T1) = (P2V2/T2).

3. What are the units for the variables in the Combined Gas Law equation?

The units for pressure (P) are typically in atmospheres (atm), volume (V) in liters (L), and temperature (T) in Kelvin (K).

4. How can the Combined Gas Law be used in real-world applications?

The Combined Gas Law is commonly used in various industries, such as in the design and operation of gas-powered engines, air conditioning systems, and scuba diving equipment. It is also used in chemical reactions and experiments in laboratory settings.

5. Can the Combined Gas Law be applied to all gases?

No, the Combined Gas Law can only be applied to ideal gases, which are gases that have no intermolecular forces and occupy negligible volume compared to the container they are in. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures.